Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my Chrony now what?

Ok I got my Chrony now and I can finally chronography some loads. I am trying to figure out a format to make on my computer that allows me to make this easier. What does everyone use the most SD, Extreme Spread, or do you just average the velocities. This is all new to me please help me out. I am thinking about plugging all this info into a spreadsheet which will include my drop chart.

Most importantly, make sure that nothing falls below the PF that you are required to make at a match. Nervously sweating it out at the chrono sucks sh*t. Erik has all of the good stuff to read in the search results listed.

First thing you need to do with your new crony is to take it out, aim for a non vital part and shoot a hole in it. Might as well get it over with sooner than later. I made a couple of speedsheets for working out different loadsl. Make one that has the Date, Bullet caliber, weight, and the a area where you can write down the Velocities of each shoot for the respective powder charge. I like to work in 0.5 gr increments. Make a who bunch of blank copies, put them in a binder, and don't ever throw them away, keep them to review them in the future. I don't trust computers enough to not keep a writen backup.

On you second spreed sheet make a table of all your data, with all the bad info take out, include the bullet make, weight, type, power brand, powerder charge, PF, velocity average. make one upto date copy, put it in a clear cover and hang it by your reloader so you can have instant access.

My chrono spreadsheet looks sorta like this on each line (one line per load)

Bullet Weight, Type/MFG, Powder Type, charge weight, OAL, average velocity, average PF, gun, date, temperature, place/chrono, comments and then the actual velocities (usually 10 or so).

The average velocity and PF calculate off the actual velocities. With those I can compute SD or KE or whatever should I so desire later.

I tooled around for a while with some numbers, and figured out that everyone pretty much has the right answer: Load your ammo so that it averages 5 pf more than the pf floor you are aiming for.

I have an Excel spreadsheet and a derived table that shows average, min, max, standard D, and sample size for both pf and velocity. I plot the results of my testing in a graph, and fit a linear function to the data, in order to predict what charge I need to make 170 pf.

I also weigh several bullets, and figure out the lower bound of a 90% confidence interval on the average weight--that's what I use to calculate power factors from then on with that bullet.

Dogmadog