Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyal, tell us more!!!

The both look like large frames, but they both have long slides right? V8 Gold Team?

Yep.

Mine is a Hard Chrome v8 gold custom with DAA cmore mount, Xtreme 2.0 grips, 6 MOA cmore and i have a sidewinder coming in the mail. Dads is a Hard Chrome limited custom with a GK slide, DAA cmore mount, Henning grips, Sidewinder, 8 MOA cmore, Tanfoglio barrel and comp

I can get some individual photos if you want.

Aw the lucky Astralians who get the eric gold custom V8's.

Not anymore, tanfoglio replaced them with the v12's in 2007, But there is still a few kicking around (Mine)

Ok so even if you can't get the V8's you can still get the eric custom guns. Hypothetically EAA is going to start importing them but...

Aw the lucky Astralians who get the eric gold custom V8's.

Not anymore, tanfoglio replaced them with the v12's in 2007, But there is still a few kicking around (Mine)

Ok so even if you can't get the V8's you can still get the eric custom guns. Hypothetically EAA is going to start importing them but...

Yes that is correct, they have been replaced by v12's

So does yours shoot flatter? Have you compared either to the V12?

Ive had experience with both but it was too long ago, Ill give you some pro's and con's so you can decide

My Tanfoglio Eric Gold Custom v8

-Longer, More leverage to hold the muzzle down

-More ported area

-Side ports

-Heavier front end

Eric v12

- Shorter and lighter, Most likely tracks a bit better.

- Snappy recoil

- Lug shaving problem

- More popple holes but less compensator ports, from looking i think it would work out to be less totally porting space then the v8

I had a V12 9mm for a short time and these were my impressions:

-too many barrel holes for 9mm

-too few ports in the comp (two small top ports, no side ports)

Because of these issues the setup needs 9-10 grains of powder to shoot flat. It shot like a dream with 10gr of SP2 and a 100gr bullet, but the minimum bullet weight for Major in USPSA is 112 and 120 for IPSC, besides that load only made 152PF!

With a 124 it took 8.4gr of HS6 to barely make Major with a short OAL, that's a high pressure load so I don't think the barrel lugs of any pistol would survive that very long.

I think the V12 could make a good shooter in 38 (although you'd be burning a TON of powder shooting Major), but you need to stick to minor if you want the 9 version to last.

I had a V12 9mm for a short time and these were my impressions:

-too many barrel holes for 9mm

-too few ports in the comp (two small top ports, no side ports)

Because of these issues the setup needs 9-10 grains of powder to shoot flat. It shot like a dream with 10gr of SP2 and a 100gr bullet, but the minimum bullet weight for Major in USPSA is 112 and 120 for IPSC, besides that load only made 152PF!

With a 124 it took 8.4gr of HS6 to barely make Major with a short OAL, that's a high pressure load so I don't think the barrel lugs of any pistol would survive that very long.

I think the V12 could make a good shooter in 38 (although you'd be burning a TON of powder shooting Major), but you need to stick to minor if you want the 9 version to last.

You till have to use above average powder in the 38 gold custom, its just the way it is.

Also they are extremely loud :surprise:

Anyone have any old school small frame base pads?

IMG_20131016_221722_331-1_zpsd3b03ffb.jp

I have two of the green ones and two of the silver ones, but I would like a matching set (or sell these and start over).

I have some lonely large frame base pads looking for a home:

IMG_20131227_201418_344-1_zpsquvwmzkq.jp

One black Henning and two silver EAA, all large frame; how about $60 shipped for all three?

These are all sold. Thanks

I haven't posted a project update in a while, but here's what I've been working on (albeit very slowly; with a new baby in the house, minutes in the garage are few and far between :ph34r: ). I bought this 9x21 small frame on GB a while back:

pix4682329861_zps9529e8fa.jpg

It was a long slide with a 5 1/2" barrel, I shot some 9x19 Major loads out of it, and it shot OK, the comp was less than impressive, it was super long/heavy and it might just be mental but something just doesn't feel right about shooting 9x19 out of a 9x21 barrel. So I used the 9x21 barrel for an SSE kit (CA thing...) and decided this would be a great top end to experiment with. It's pretty common to cut the length of a 1911 slide, but I'd never heard it done to a CZ75 pattern pistol (I would later realize why :wacko: ) so I decided to cut 3/4" off the slide and use a 4 3/4" 9x19 barrel I had kicking around.

The first problem to deal with is the recoil system: unlike a 1911, the recoil spring rests on a ridge machined into the front of the slide so I needed to replicate that ridge. I though of welding up the hole and re drilling it, but the inside would be all bumpy so I decided to drill it out, tap it, loctite in a 7/16x20 set screw, then drill a smaller hole through the middle of the set screw for the guide rod. :eatdrink:

IMG_20131222_195721_383-1_zps86f1fd0c.jp

IMG_20131222_195654_055_zps109477ec.jpg

I quickly realized this was not the path of least resistance as the slide was HARD! real HARD!!! I usually just turn the chuck by hand when tapping, but this was too hard, I moved to an 18" pipe wrench, but when the jaws began to slip on the smooth sides of the tap I resorted to turning the tap with a crescent wrench on the tap itself. I progressively cut the slide, tapped some more, repeat... Right until...

IMG_20131225_192943_254_zps184ea7a8.jpg

Well, I think that's enough threads :surprise:

After using a punch and hammer to shatter the tap still in the slide I inserted the set screw:

IMG_20131225_200540_678_zps5f1cbc8b.jpg

Drill the hole for the guide rod (I wish I had some sharper bits...):

IMG_20131225_202649_619_zpsd62ff27c.jpg

After trimming the slide a little more, it's actually turning out pretty well :D

IMG_20131229_215258_384-1_zpss3ojr2mm.jp

The cone and breach are still a little tight, but that sure beats the alternative... A little more fitting and it will be ready to test fire.

I now have three compensated top ends for my small frame Open gun (standard length, compact and now my custom 'middy'):

IMG_20131230_065604_539-1_zpslkxfmpjx.jp

Thanks kneelingatlas,

Yeah I have not seen a version like that before.

I wonder if that's Tanfo, aftermarket or just homemade.

Thank you for all your info and Happy New Year.

Edited by gennaro