Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tec Loader help needed

chp5

I recently started shooting Open and I’d like to use my Remington Competition Master in Open for an upcoming local three gun match. It has the standard 8 round mag tube. I bought Tec Loaders and put on the bracket.

When practicing, I can get the first 4 shells into the CM pretty well with the first Tec Loader but, when I go for the second Tec Loader and the next 4 shells, things go south. I can’t seem to reliably get that second Tec Loader full of shells loaded.

I’m considering buying the Arredondo guide, but that won’t help me right now. I also wonder if the 8 round mag tube has too much spring tension for me to load 8 shells with a Tec Loader. Do I need to get a 10 round tube to make this work?

Thanks.

10 round tube.

I learned the hard way that you need to shoot more than 4 rounds out of a 10 round tube before a reload with a Tec-Loader. The last 1 or 2 are fighting too much spring tension for reliable Tec-Loading.

Besides, you got to have 11 in the gun to start or I'll beat you on every stage that has more than 9 rounds. ;)

Besides, you got to have 11 in the gun to start or I'll beat you on every stage that has more than 9 rounds. ;)

Well.....

Maybe that was a little strong but you know what I ment. IPSC shotgunning is all about loading and he who can load the fastest and the least has a big advantage.

Lets narrow it down to more than 9 and less than 11. :P

Get the Choate 10 round tube kit, throw away the spring and get a better one from Beven Grams and while your at it, get a couple of the Choate barrel/mag tube clamps for sling attachement and use them both to keep the tube from un-screwing itself while shooting (lotsa fun to watch).

http://www.gramsengineering.com/

http://www.riflestock.com/

I can always get 4 in on top of 5. If it is aligned perfectly and I am smart about it when I stroke the plunger, I can get 4 on top of 6 "amost all of the time". Momentum always overcomes resistance if there is enough of the former and not enough of the latter. Trimming coils until the 10th round is a nice easy fit is a good thing also.

Anyone ever notice that hand stuffing the last round into a full tube always seems to go easier when it is done on the clock? ;-)

--

Regards,

Another major item in getting these things to work is a smooth entry into the receiver and mag tub. Check the area, get your trust Dremel and get after any sharp edges and smooth out that area. You'll be amazed how much easier they go in.

When I was using the TEC loader in my M1S90, I never had a problem loading 4 after having shot only 4 from a full magazine. The most important thing that I've found when using the TEC is the angle. Get the angle right and just keep pushing the handle. If the angle is wrong, then it can be very difficult to load. Some people use a guide, like the one from Arrendondo, Grams, etc.

A lot of times this is caused by the mag spring being waaaaay too long. I'm not sure about the CM, but the spring that comes with an extended mag is a standard length that would work in a 15 round tube and still be too long! Shorten your mag spring to about 4-6 inches longer than the overall length of the entire magazine; you will get easier, smoother reloads and the shells loading onto the carrier will not slam into the carrier quite so hard. Sometimes this excessive slamming can cause damage to the carrier/lifter system.

JJ

A lot of times this is caused by the mag spring being waaaaay too long. I'm not sure about the CM, but the spring that comes with an extended mag is a standard length that would work in a 15 round tube and still be too long! Shorten your mag spring to about 4-6 inches longer than the overall length of the entire magazine; you will get easier, smoother reloads and the shells loading onto the carrier will not slam into the carrier quite so hard. Sometimes this excessive slamming can cause damage to the carrier/lifter system.

JJ

I run the stock spring that came in my 1100 and it works fine with the 10 round tube. I have ground off the little nub on the end of the follower, that gives about an extra 1/8" of room.