Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fibre optic front sight

APL-G35

Okay dumb question. How do you install the fibre optic cable in a sight without a through hole? It had one in it when I got it and I've had other front sights with a hole drilled all the way through. I understand those because you melt both ends and the tension holds it in. I am at a loss here and I'm sure it's something simple.

How do they crimp them? The one that was in there was very secure. The problem is that the sight was fit poorly in the dovetail. Way too tight won't move with the sight pusher it just bends. The only real option is too machine it out and replace it if I can't get the fibre installed correctly.

How do they crimp them? The one that was in there was very secure. The problem is that the sight was fit poorly in the dovetail. Way too tight won't move with the sight pusher it just bends. The only real option is too machine it out and replace it if I can't get the fibre installed correctly.

It might have loctite in it. Run a heat gun/blow drier on it for about 10 minutes, then give it a couple of taps and see if it moves.

If that doesn't work, throw the slide into the freezer for about 30 minutes or so. The base of the sight should contract more quickly than the slide material and you might be able to get it off that way.