Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended 3rd party parts for M&P CORE 40 (and 9mm conv)

michael1778

Hello,

I have a 4.25" barrel M&P CORE 40 on the way to me. I also have a Storm Lake 40-to-9mm conversion barrel en route. The goal is to make this a "Two Caliber" Open pistol. The 9mm configuration would see most of the use while at monthly 3-gun matches. A few times a year, I would like to go to a different range for USPSA matches and shoot Open major with factory .40 ammo. I use Taylor Freelance basepads staying less than 170mm, currently.

Now seems like the best time to make part replacements or reconfigurations, before I go an shoot it much (well any at the moment). Pistol should be here no later than next week. It's factory new in the box. My current (older) M&P Pro 9mm 5" has a Dan Burwell competition trigger job, but now that I shoot Open all across the board, I don't care about replacing parts in the new pistol, etc. Just doesn't apply to the rule sets. I can replace what I want. The trigger job is very good, but I'd like less pre and over travel as well as more distinct reset. Replacing parts should open up more options than Dan had to work with initially (factory original parts only). I wasn't expecting to go to Open like I have since that time.

I'm hoping to get some current advice that is specifically relevant to the CORE platforms. I know they had to make some form of changes to make slide room for the optic mount.

1. Am I going the wrong way on the Storm Lake conversion barrel? Some other vendor I should consider?
  2. Ideas on Apex parts for triggers, etc? Their extractor? Are some Apex kits mutually exclusive? Are some matched up better than others for best function? Does teh CORE family have restrictions on what can be used with internal mechanical changes?
  3. I've never used a Performance Center sear. Am I messing too much with a workable design already?
  4. Am I missing some other vendors or services not mentioned?

All my carry guns are S&W M&P, so I insist on competing with them to make my match time at least partially relevant to my personal defense. Speaking of which, if any recommended modifications have equivalents suitable for carry guns, please note that. I appreciate the assistance and sharing of hard earned experience.

Best Regards,

Mike

Received the 4.25" M&P CORE 40 today. Nice gun.....awful trigger. And I do mean awful. I wasn't expecting it to feel so much like my older 40 compact's stock trigger, but it does with just a cleaner break. All other qualities are pretty bad (sticky pre-travel, too much pre-travel, too much over travel, and indistinct reset). It might improve slightly as I sight in the RDS on top. However, I don't think it will improve enough for my taste, so I'll get some form of Apex replacement. I'm thinking the FSS kit as a start.

I still hold hope that someone will chime in and share thoughts here. One specific question is if anyone has used the FSS as well as the competition action enhancement kit simultaneously in the same pistol. I see some part redundancies in the kits that make me wonder how often that is done.

I have only use SSS parts, Dan did all the trigger work with the over and pre travel fix on 6 Pro's and a 45. about 2 years ago I got rid of the storm lake barrels and got KKM barrels, there may not be much difference between them but I feel like I shoot better with the KKM.

I know people love the Apex stuff, but some of there kits cost just as much as Dan.

for my open gun the weight of the optic on my slide was a big deal. so I went with Delta point its only a 1/2 ozs.

so my slide is still lighter with the cuts and delta point than factory.

my only thing on all our Pro's we went with the 2.75 with all the travel work. on my open gun I went lighter so it lacks the crisp feel and is more soft.

PM me if you need 9mm caver minor comp.

good luck

Mike, Give it a good cleaning before use, break it in a bit, the moving parts need work in some. I used the Apex competition kits right off the bat. They make a competition model for your trigger, sear and striker assemblies. If it is a duty weapon the factory guts should be light enough. The CORE model uses different sights than the stock or Pro models because of the milled slide. The striker block is accessed under the plastic sight cap on the frame rather then under the rear sight.

Thanks guys!

I expect that if Dan B could have replaced some parts it would have been an even better result in my M&P 9mm Pro 5". It's still lightyears ahead of the factory trigger on my new 40 CORE. THe unfortunate thing is the pre-travel is still fairly long. I'd like to try reducing that. FSS seemed like a way to try that out.

Fortunately, I've got 9mm mags from my M&P 9 Pro 5" that is being retired. I hope I can find new ones soon so I can package a couple with that gun and put it up for sale here soon. But those mags appear to have vanished form the face of the Earth, for some reason. :angry2:

This M&P 40 CORE 4.25" is strictly a competition gun. I'll clean it up and try breaking it in to see how it feels after a bit. I still think it's 'sloppy' for what should be a precision pistol and am not expecting any miracles. Time will tell. I'll set aside the money for at least the FSS kit as an insurance policy. First, the cleaning and break in work.

Edited by michael1778

Well I own tow M&P Core. A 4.25 and a 5

I have Trijicon RDM mounted on both, APEX comp full trigger kits and KKM in 9mm

I have now shot three matches with the 4.25 and four with me 5.00, I both run with no problems. I would say go for the Apex package. Darn sure better the the factory slop.

JMHO

Thanks guys!

I expect that if Dan B could have replaced some parts it would have been an even better result in my M&P 9mm Pro 5". It's still lightyears ahead of the factory trigger on my new 40 CORE. THe unfortunate thing is the pre-travel is still fairly long. I'd like to try reducing that. FSS seemed like a way to try that out.

Fortunately, I've got 9mm mags from my M&P 9 Pro 5" that is being retired. I hope I can find new ones soon so I can package a couple with that gun and put it up for sale here soon. But those mags appear to have vanished form the face of the Earth, for some reason. :angry2:

This M&P 40 CORE 4.25" is strictly a competition gun. I'll clean it up and try breaking it in to see how it feels after a bit. I still think it's 'sloppy' for what should be a precision pistol and am not expecting any miracles. Time will tell. I'll set aside the money fir at least the FSS kit as an insurance policy. First, the cleaning and break in work.

Dan does replace parts, unless you send him the parts you want replaced. no matter how you choose to tune up your gun. I am sure it will be great.

on the mags I have gotten 2 notices from 44mag.com the first said in stock and only $99.00 and the 2 one said 89.00. they do sell out I have no idea who pay that.

also got a notice from midway today that they were in stock for $34 but sold out already.

Dan kept the same trigger. Back then I think that was the typical option his customer's used. Also, I was so new I didn't ask all the right questions. I should have taken the option for a more forward sitting trigger. Anyway, that gun will hopefully find a nice new home where it will be loved and used.

RWF, those magazine prices are crazy!!! Something is obviously terribly wrong between supply and demand for those. I wonder if S&W ran into a supply chain problem there. I can find .40 and .45 mags. M&P 9mm full-size and any caliber Shield mags are rare these days.

I should be taking the new .40 CORE out to get the optic zeroed. I wonder how far off the settings will be for .40 and 9mm. I'll find out.......

Assuming the trigger only cleans up a little (as I expect) I will try the Apex route since I did a gunsmith trigger last time. This way I can compare and contrast. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

With the FSS installed you can take a good look at how the trigger mechanism works. Removing pre travel is only a matter of getting the teardrop shaped disconnector tilted in slightly for reliability and opening the loop just a small bit to cause it to engage the sear earlier. If you can see how it works you can do it yourself. If you over do it and the trigger wont reset, no worries use the lever in the magwell to facilitate disassembly and close the loop ever so slightly and try again. Stoning the disconnector will smooth out the little bit of take up that you have to leave for positive trigger reset. Good luck and enjoy.

I just put that out there. I have shot someone apex done at home job and was impressed. just do not understand how it controls travel in both directions. which is very hard to on the M & P.

so which ever you choose I am sure it will serve you well

• 5 months later...

M&P comp testing

I am in process of proto typing some designs for. My CORE ... Function 1st is the key, all testing will be with KKM barrels. A minor and major design will be tested.

Hope for production to start shortly afterwards!!!!

News up-date.......

I sent my 5" Core to Salient Arms. They installed their complete custom trigger and internals. Tested the gun out and maxiumized its performance. Costly ? Yes a little but once you shoot it you will do all you guns.

Again JMHO

IMO the apex polymer fss kit is the best they offer. And cheaper than the aluminum kit. I like it much better than the caek also. My 5" open CORE has a Trijicon RMR red dot, apex polymer fss trigger kit + RAM, SSS tungsten guide rod with 15 lb spring, limited magwell, SSS slide racker, and quadraported by Mag-Na-Port. 45% recoil reduction. I use my production holster & mag pouches, and I use 2 Taylor Freelance 170 big sticks. Never a bobble and it's fast! (I shoot minor) 115gr AAA. Great for steel & local USPSA matches. Most fun you can have with a gun!

Edited by rack&roll

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the apex kits and ram last night and OMG what a difference! From 6.5 to an average of 2.6lbs my lightest break ended up at 2.3 ..... Pretravel, overtravel and reset all changed for the better. I have a 1911 with a 2.5 lb trigger and the feel of it is cleaner than the apex even though the apex is ligther. But they are two different animals.