Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wal Mart Rimfire Vultures

charliedelta

So I didn't have anything to bring to work for lunch one morning, so I stopped into Wal Mart to pick up something frozen. It was early so I decided to go by the gun counter & look a bit. There were 3 guys standing there at the counter - it was 6:30 AM - so it seemed a bit odd. I stayed there for about 5 minutes - they were just standing there not saying anything. Well a few minutes later I found out why they were there. An employee wheeled out a cart from the back and they pounced on it like a pack of hounds on a wounded rabbit.

There was 1 case (10 boxes) of the Winchester 555 count boxes, 1 case (10 boxes) of Federal 325 round packs and another case of something else. They didn't even wait for her to open the cases - she moved out of the way and they opened the cases themselves. I could tell she was used to this.

All 3 of the guys grabbed more than their 3 box limit. Thankfully she enforced the 3 box max per customer rule so they each got 3 boxes of the Win 555 round boxes - that left one of those from that case. One of the guys spoke to her rudely when she would not let him get the last one from the case. He told her, "We come here for these every time you get them in, why not let me have the last one too." I quickly spoke up and said I'll take it. So I got it & 2 of the Fed 325 boxes. He was not happy with me to say the least.

You could tell that these guys were professional rimfire vultures. It is the guys who jack up the price by 3 times what they paid for them & post them on Gunbroker.

I hate those guys.

So I guess things have not improved for ammo supply in the center of the world. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? I guess theres still the same lack of stock for handguns? Where is all the production going? We need some downunder, no chance. Bugger.

Our local Academy is the same way. I was told when there shipment came in and I went that morning 20 minutes before they opened. There was already a line of four people there. Right before they opened there was 8 of us. I over heard a few guys talking and from what I heard they were regulars that would come out before the store open.

I got to a similar situation about ten minutes late last week so I had a few minutes to talk to the counter-kid. He told me it's the same, every Friday morning.

"It's the same a-holes that don't shoot a hundred rounds a year coming in every week to buy all we'll let 'em. No one else gets any, ever. Just those doofuses."

I went on to bitch that the beer-can shooters who can't find hardware store ammo are having to buy the very expensive Eley, RWS, Lapua match ammo that I need for Smallbore matches. Some people are shooting gophers with Tenex, fer chrissake.

Rant over

Mark