Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs Production Shooting

velo918

one of my friends talked to eric about the change when he saw him, and he said he shoots everything exactly the same except now he has to reload

This is interesting to me because as a production shooter I normally run stages different then limited or open shooters mainly do to magazine capacity. So your saying this guy runs the stage the exact same but reloads when he needs to? I try to break down 8-10 shots then reload on movement. I would be interested to see which ran faster by the same person.

Except HOW he has to reload, meaning he doesn't have to as often

Most quality stages would be run differently based on mag capacity, poorly designed stages or range restrictions may result in similar plans

I recently shot a classifier match in Open and Production; it was my first time shooting my box stock 75B and I beat my Open score by 14%!

I had some light strikes and some cases of slide lock mid mag and I just fell apart. Then I would change belts and everything was just fine. Totally weird...

one of my friends talked to eric about the change when he saw him, and he said he shoots everything exactly the same except now he has to reload

This is interesting to me because as a production shooter I normally run stages different then limited or open shooters mainly do to magazine capacity. So your saying this guy runs the stage the exact same but reloads when he needs to? I try to break down 8-10 shots then reload on movement. I would be interested to see which ran faster by the same person.

sorry, I could have explained better. he will run a different stage plan based on mag capacity but he wont go "well ill shoot these from here because they are closer and I dont have my dot" or "ill stop and not shoot these on the move like iw ould with my open gun"

he shoots it exactly like he would shoot it with a 10 (or 15 rounds for europe) open gun

After 7 years of Production, I picked up an Open gun this year, but have kept shooting Production and other iron sight stuff on a regular basis. I'm rotating back and forth a lot, sometimes on the same weekend, or even same day. It's killing me! :wacko:

I occasionally find myself shooting the Open gun like a Production gun, and vice versa. My friends say it's hysterical to watch.

I have a list of things that haunt me on both guns, but the one that gets me the most is the visual difference between iron and dot guns...target focus versus front sight. I'm ok with the Open gun, but I forget to look at the sights when I am shooting irons, staring at targets expecting to see a magic dot appear. I do give myself dryfire transition time, but it might take a moment to remember what I am shooting after the buzzer goes off!

Major versus Minor scoring gets me sometimes. I find myself taking time to make up Charlies with the Open gun, and I don't think that 1 point is always worth it.

There are other things too. My sloppy reloads into that huge hole on the bottom of the Open gun don't quite work as well with the Production rig. I have a lot more confidence with longer & tighter shots on the Open gun, and my shot calling feels 100% accurate with the dot; my late 30 something eyes don't always register what the front sight is telling me. I have much more confidence in stage breakdown with the Production gun just from experience.

But, honestly, I have really loved this adventure. The Open gun has been a great teaching tool, and it's a real confidence booster (shooting on the move, shot calling, etc.). I am learning that almost everything I can do with the Open gun, I can do with any other gun.

The other big difference between the two is the big stupid grin on my face when I am running Open. It's a hoot!!!! :D