Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jalapeno Jelly

Romans 13 4

• 2 weeks later...

:D Home made from jalapeno's I grew in the garden. I was like a little kid dancing around the kitchen.

Get some in your eye ? *grin*

Friend uses a jal. jelly on his competition ribs

I might have to try it on the ribs..... I did realize you should wear gloves when you cut them up. Hours later I rubbed my eye and got a little concentrated sunshine.

hot sweet things are awesome!

my hot sweet wife has spent the weekend making chutneys and jams out of nectarines (from a local orchard) along with habaneros from our garden. We had some of the chutney on grilled chicken last night. Out of this world delicious.

You must be very careful with jalapenos, and esp with habaneros when handling them. Wash your hands carefully, don't touch your eyes, for god's sake don't touch your hot sweet wifes tender parts. Gloves are a good idea. I only have mechanic-type latex ones and not sure if they are ok for food.

Here's the recipe.....

You will need:

12 oz jalapeño peppers (about 12 med)
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of Ball® RealFruit® Liquid Pectin
Green food coloring, optional
5 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) PURÉE peppers in food processor or blender with 1 cup cider vinegar until smooth. Do not strain purée.
3.) COMBINE purée with remaining 1 cup cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4.) ADD Ball® RealFruit® Liquid Pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches. Continue to boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add food coloring, if using, and skim foam if necessary.
5.) LADLE hot jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
6.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to keep your hands from being burned.