Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did your blood test show high lead levels?

Been tested twice, first time I was shooting a lot of handloaded lead bullets through a 45, second time was just two weeks ago and for the past year I've been shooting JHP's out of an open gun. Both tests showed low loevels of lead in my blood, but all of my shooting is outdoors.

Wasn't it Massad Ayood who said, "He would rather forage for food in a toxic waste dump, than shoot at an indoor range", or something along those lines. I wonder if he still participates at the S&W range in Springfield, MA, where in previous years he was in charge of the IDPA Winter Nationals?

I couldn't really answer the question.

" High " seems to be a relative term.

Mine was 11 at last test, the " normal " range per the lab's notation was 0-20.

I shoot alot indoors, reload , and used lead bullets for many years.

I also take care that lead does not EVER get tranferred to my mouth via my hands.

Travis F.

I think mine was like a 13 or something like that. Dr. noted it wasn't high, but noted at 13 it was his opinion that it is/was elevated enough that he does want me to get it checked regularly since I am regularly exposed to lead.

I used to shoot indoors quite a bit but that range is now closed to the public. I only shoot indoors once a years now at the WIIT (Winter Indoor Invitational Tournament) over in Illinois. (great match to the Rockford crew,,,looking forward to WIIT 05).

H4444

"" High " seems to be a relative term.
We talked about this very thing at the (indoor) range today. One fellow shooter cast his own lead bullets for years, shot indoors forever, etc., etc., and tested out at near zero. Go figure. We all agreed that conscientious washing-of-hands is one of the best preventatives for those of us who shoot or reload regularly.

April 2003 my lead level was about 40 (shot a lot indoors) 5 months later, after eating a lot of vitamins, it had dropped to around 26 (I haven’t been tested since). I haven’t shot indoors since I got tested the first time (except 1 match in November 2004).

FWIW, in 1998 I had been shooting indoors 2 nights a week. I forgot the actual indicator number but my Dr. said it was at the same level as persons who worked in the lead smeltering industry. I increased my intake of citrus and stopped going 'down range' to score and setup the stages and in 6 months my level was back in the normal range.

• 1 month later...

I started a job at an indoor range and my lead level was 6, after 5 years of working there I started having memory trouble and rapid hair loss so I had it checked again. This time it was almost 40 which according to my doctor was within the danger zone. I was not only shooting lead bullets indoors but I was cleaning the range also. I think that is what caused my elivated level. Since I stopped working there it has dropped back down in the 20's but I still shoot indoors. I just switched to totaly jacketed bullets. My memory has not gotten any better and my hair loss will not come back. The Doctor says that only time can get it out of your system and the effects are perminate. So be careful and get checked every year. It is not a common test so you will have to request it, I had to.

My last test was 16. The doctor was not concerned about it. I shoot indoors a few times a month. Two or three matches and a few practice sessions a month in the winter.

My club range has a decent ventilation system. But a couple ranges at match locations are horrible.

After much reloading and indoor range use, I tested at 5. It bears repeating; do not eat or touch on a mucous membrane until your hands are washed. Some days at the indoor range were so bad that I had to blow my nose to clear the ... gunk. But that was after indoor matches when we took over the range and walked through/disturbed the downrange dust.

Lee

This is a good question. Our new indoor range boasts a state of the art ventilation system and has a ban on any non-jacketed loads (except .22). Since I shoot there about 4x a week I will ask them about any causal effects or risks for elevated lead exposure with persistent visitations. No wonder EricW shies away from the indoor invite freebie....Or its my uncontrolled flatulence.