Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting scores

robman1000

We score our matches with Practiscore and it's our policy to not leave the range until results are posted on the Practiscore web site. We still have some issues though such as our steel challenge results from November still haven't been posted on the SCSA web site :(. Not sure where the break down is but we're shooting steel challenge this weekend and I'll ask the MD about it. When I ran a small 4 stage indoor match in GA we did everything with EZWS and I always tried to get results posted the following day. Our matches were on Monday night and by lunch time on Tuesday they were usually posted. I was always curious to see how well I did or didn't do so I always entered the scores right away.

Volunteering to help is a great thing to do.

There is a local match that struggled to get scores out in a timely fashion, so rather than complain about it, I volunteered to enter the scores. It takes a couple of hours after I get home from the match, but I like knowing my scores the same day as the match, and I know other shooters appreciate it too. Hopefully some of the local clubs will adopt practiscore and this will become a non-issue.

Getting the scores out before leaving the range is great IF you can get a connection at your range and IF you have the updated Classification list and IF you have all the people deleted that didn't show and IF you have all the divisions corrected.

I can usually get the scores up the night of the match. We don't have Wi-Fi at the range. Usually by Wednesday everyone that has an issue has emailed so we allow until Thursday for scores to be declared final. There is ALMOST always at least one person that scored on the wrong name, thankfully so far they have done this on some one that didn't show up. There is almost always one person that didn't save their score andd there is almost always someone that put in the time without or with the decimal in the wrong place.

At least with PS I don't have to try and tell what you meant by the funny squiggels you put int he 'Time' box really are and I don't have to explain that no, I can't assume that you actually shot the steel since it was left blank. We also used to get too many hits or not enough hits on paper. Amazing that the people that make the most ommissions on a paper score sheet are the same people most likely to deal with paper every day in tehir real world lives.

It really isn't that hard to get it right. We hand out a squad list with all the people on your squad wrtten down and a place for comments. We ask that he list be handed bak at the end of the day. Please write down any DQ's and why. Please mark any people that left early. DQ's you are supposed to get the RM and then write it on the squad list. Early leave helps us to differentiate between Oops we didn't score him and he wasn't there.

I am looking at a mobile hotspot some time in the future, but unless and until the toher problems are solved, it is not the #1 item on my list.

• 3 months later...

With aps like practiscore there really is no need to use paper scoring. It saves the score person a ton of time as they do not have to input the information as it's done when the match is over. You really only need one semi computer literate person to set it up and the rest is simple as clicking the colum. It also eliminates missing hits times etc as it verified it as you go. Not sure why there are those clinging to paper scoring and manual entry when there is a much better alternative