Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salient Arms

ThomasM

Have any of you guys dealt with Salient Arms? I purchased a 930 from them and they quoted me 2-3 months and said they would send me photos of the build along the way. So I purchased the most expensive 930 you can buy. Well a month into it they said it got pushed back but was being built and it would be 2 months. Well that deadline passed. So I have asked for photos and been ignored I asked why its taking so long and they informed me the stopped all production to make guns for the new Transformers movie.

I'm trying to be patient but I'm not a rich man and spent a lot on a shotgun based on promises that aren't being kept.

Have any of you guys handled any of Salient's guns and is it worth the wait and hassle? I'm I freaking out about nothing?

If I was in your shoes, I would call Taran Tactical and see if he will go get it for you, and the money you paid, and get 'er done. Not saying he will be able to get it, but it is worth a shot.

I have a Salient Benelli. It's rock solid.

But I went Benny Hill for a 2011 build.

I don't think any gunsmith in particular is magic.

If Salient can't live up to what they promised, attempt to get your cash back and move on.

At that level, anyone is good - although I would admit you are in rarified air there (3-4 smiths that top all others).

If I was in your shoes, I would call Taran Tactical and see if he will go get it for you, and the money you paid, and get 'er done. Not saying he will be able to get it, but it is worth a shot.

What Mark said....+1...

-Aaron

I have a Salient M2 that I bought on a team discount when Tony was running their marketing. The gun is a solid shooter and the only problems I have had was from weak magazine springs. That being said, I don't think I would pony up $2900 for one now. Taran designed my shotgun for Salient, so his guns probably have the same features as mine. I would call him and get a shotgun if it were me.

I have a Salient M2 that I bought on a team discount when Tony was running their marketing. The gun is a solid shooter and the only problems I have had was from weak magazine springs. That being said, I don't think I would pony up $2900 for one now. Taran designed my shotgun for Salient, so his guns probably have the same features as mine. I would call him and get a shotgun if it were me.

Taran does all the features, plus some new ones. My M2 is at Taran's shop now getting converted. I've been keeping an eye on the various custom Benellis at all the matches I shot this year. I had my pick of smiths to send it to, and Taran got my business. I don't know if he's working on Mossbergs but if you're going to spend the money on a fancy custom gun, why start with a Mossberg? I'd rather spend a couple hundred more for a Benelli. Not just for the cool factor but the resale value when you finally upgrade will more than make up the difference.

Taran does all the features, plus some new ones. My M2 is at Taran's shop now getting converted. I've been keeping an eye on the various custom Benellis at all the matches I shot this year. I had my pick of smiths to send it to, and Taran got my business. I don't know if he's working on Mossbergs but if you're going to spend the money on a fancy custom gun, why start with a Mossberg? I'd rather spend a couple hundred more for a Benelli. Not just for the cool factor but the resale value when you finally upgrade will more than make up the difference.

Makes sense.

Kinda like spending money getting a Taurus 1911 or KIA tricked out. After all that good money spent you still just have a Taurus 1911 or a KIA.

Seems like anyone who does good work has a poor turn around... I call it craftsmanship syndrome

I hope this is why. If my gun takes longer than planned because they want it to be perfect I won't complain at all.