Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The worst I ever got it was from a dog.

I had a solid mass of oozing blisters from my bicep to my wrist. I had put my arm around our lab after she had been in the woods, and that was the only contact I could have had. I hadnt been anywhere near it.

I used to get it really bad, always had to get shots and steroids.

Ed,

If you still have it try taking a shower in the hottest water you can stand. The scratching feeling is amazing and it doesn't keep tearing things open. I used to work in cutting trees, clearing brush, mowing etc and got it quite regularly. A doctor and the internet said to try the hot water relief. It works great for the itch and suppresses the itch for a good while.

Getting a case of ivy itch from a dog-- most certianly. I don't think that it bothers the dog. Contact with tools, limbs, boots, other people--all will transfer the oils. The oils can remain active on surfaces for some time.

If you know about the exposure fairly soon after, I suggest Technu. Its available at drug stores in tiny bottles. Look online for large (and much less $$) bottles to stash.

If one waits too long, the oil bonds with one's skin and by then its almost too late--

Getting a case of ivy itch from a dog-- most certianly. I don't think that it bothers the dog. Contact with tools, limbs, boots, other people--all will transfer the oils. The oils can remain active on surfaces for some time.

If you know about the exposure fairly soon after, I suggest Technu. Its available at drug stores in tiny bottles. Look online for large (and much less $$) bottles to stash.

If one waits too long, the oil bonds with one's skin and by then its almost too late--

+1 for Technu! If you get it on within a few hours no poison ivy

Once one's skin becomes irritated to the point of blistering and the aforementioned oozing, two items are of concern. One is relief. I've not had much success with otc creams,bleach, etc. If I get a good case, I just bite the ole 9mm, go to the doc, drop the drawers, get a steroid shot and prescription cream. That's what I suggest to everyone who asks.

The second is infection. Once the blisters form and one begins to scratch (especially when sleeping), watch out for infection.

A little late for your current dose of Poison Ivy, but next Spring you can do what I did when I was a kid.

I was raised on a farm that was 50% pasture and 50% woods. On a regular basis I managed to get covered with the effects of Poison Ivy from head to toe. An elderly friend of my father, a gentleman of American Indian descent, suggested we eat several fresh Poison Ivy leaves shortly after they bud out. It was a April tradition at our house from then on. Eat three or four small leaves and we were not bothered by it that season.

I don't have a clue why it worked but for years after that I never got a single rash from the stuff. Some of the areas of the farm where I cut firewood was covered with the vines.

Bill

(Just don't get me started talking about VooDoo, O.K.?)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

A little late for your current dose of Poison Ivy, but next Spring you can do what I did when I was a kid.

I was raised on a farm that was 50% pasture and 50% woods. On a regular basis I managed to get covered with the effects of Poison Ivy from head to toe. An elderly friend of my father, a gentleman of American Indian descent, suggested we eat several fresh Poison Ivy leaves shortly after they bud out. It was a April tradition at our house from then on. Eat three or four small leaves and we were not bothered by it that season.

I don't have a clue why it worked but for years after that I never got a single rash from the stuff. Some of the areas of the farm where I cut firewood was covered with the vines.

Bill

(Just don't get me started talking about VooDoo, O.K.?)

I took a 3 shot series one year, that had some sort of poison ivy extract in it. I have not had bad reactions since before then.

Im not sure if you can still get those shots or not.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

My wife got exposed once and the only thing we could figure was her trip through a "petting zoo" at a county fair, baby goats we think. It was on her hands, she went to the bathroom...it was ugly. So you can get it transferred.

For me, no special potions, just use soap and water when I am exposed, and that includes clothes, boots, jacket, anything.

When the oozing starts, hot bath or shower for a few minutes. It will itch like crazy for a couple minutes, then stop. The histamines get used up in the cells, and no more itching for hours. Lasts almost through a work day.