Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Berry's 124 grain round nose with Hodgdon Clays for minor powe

dmd6x

Does anyone run this set up?

I've had the bullets for a while, have been on a powder hunt, and just (finally) found some Hodgdon Clays in stock on Powder Valley.

I'll be shooting this ammo for 3gun and USPSA Limited Division out of a Glock 34.

I'm having trouble finding load data for the 124 grain 9mm round nose Berry's Bullet. Does anyone have good load data for me with this particular bullet with Hodgdon Clays behind it? A safe range and a good starting load?

Thanks.

I used it a lot in the past and going back to it. Clays is very nice powder for 9mm Minor loads. It's soft, low flash, not as loud as most others, clean enough to shoot 1500rds without having to clean gun.

Shooting CZ Shadow thou, that asks for shorter OAL.

Check your PMs for link to my load data.

You do may wanna play with OAL as your gun can handle longer one.

I've shot the 124 gr RN Berry's for years. EXCEPT I shoot Titegroup. I'll look in one of my load manuals for clays. When I first started, I emailed Berry's for load data. I think the guys name is Jay?? He will email you minimum and maximums for the powder you chose.

Thanks guys.

Stick, I'd love to shoot Titegroup...that's what I was planning to get for months...but I haven't been able to find it and got tired of waiting. Saw the clays in stock, remembered reading on BE that it seems to be very popular, so I went for it. So we'll see how it turns out....

CeeZer what bullets are you using with clays to make power factor? I have been shooting 125g BBI and 124g Bayous and I liked that load with clays but was just barely able to make 125 PF. I have been using it for my steel challenge load but would like for it to work for USPSA until I can find more Solo.

CeeZer what bullets are you using with clays to make power factor? I have been shooting 125g BBI and 124g Bayous and I liked that load with clays but was just barely able to make 125 PF. I have been using it for my steel challenge load but would like for it to work for USPSA until I can find more Solo.

I was using 2.8gr of Clays behind a 125 BBI at 1.140 OAL in my Glock 34 for steel and it felt very light. I ran a batch of them over my chrono and was surprised they were at 120PF - think I could make PF pretty easily if needed.

I'm using 3.35gr of WST now for my steel loads, but haven't chrono'd any yet.

I had tried 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 g clays at 1.125 out of my cz shadow. The 3.6 was getting 128 but that seems a little close for comfort at the chrono. I have thought about shortening it up to somewhere between 1.110 and 1.115 to see if that would give me a little more room.

Using 124gr RN Berry's. My load for my gun (CZ Shadow) is 3.6gr, OAL 1.12', Fed SPP. PF129; never had issues with match chrono, .... except when they had low battery in their chrono ... :rolleyes:

Curious as to load data and gun you were using.

Just tested that bullet powder combo. 3.1 gns of Clays with the 125 gn BBI, getting a 124 PF. 3.3 gns got me a 131 PF. OAL was 1.12, and was fired in a Glock 35 w/Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel.

Gandof.

I did, a few years back. I used Ramshot Comp and VV N320. These bullets tumbled out of my CZ, inaccurate out of my Beretta and just OK from a HK P-30. I went to Bayou Bullets and haven't looked back.

I did 3 ten round runs with a 124g bayou and 3.6 clays loaded to 1.125 with mixed brass. It gave me a 129 PF. I did not check accuracy but the first string seemed to be a little more consistent. What would be reasonable results for a load to be your choice for match ammo? This isnt the best I have tested but also not the worst.

String 1

LOW- 1030

HI- 1059

AVG Velocity- 1045

ES- 29.69

SD- 11.18

String 2-

LOW-1011

HI- 1068

AVG- 1041

ES- 56.07

SD- 19.57

String 3

LOW- 1022

HI- 1071

AVG- 1044

ES- 49.27

SD- 16.27

9mm: I am not using Hodgdon Clays, but I am using Hodgdon Universal (HUC) and Win 231 is 124 gr Montana Gold FMJ and Berry's 147 gr. TMJ I shoot IDPA and I have been reloading for minor PF. I have a chrono, my data

147 berry TMJ, 231, 3.9 grns 930 fps

147 berry TMJ, 231, 3.6 grns 891 fps

124 MG FMJ, HUC, 3.9 grns 968 fps

I think the next time I reload 124 I think I'll go up to 4.0 grns. I have not run 231 on the chronie yet for 124.

I am intersted in Hodgdon Clays I have heard so many good things about it, but I gather its a "fast powder", I'm still new at this (abt 3000 to 4000 rds).

Given the lack of powder I have to take what I can get.

• 4 weeks later...