Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 trigger problem

I attempted to re-stone my sear and trigger hooks on my 2011 and i messed something up and likley need a new sear. Existing sear extends above .020 shim in brownells jig. Issue is that upon pulling the trigger, the hammer will often fall to the half cock position. The safety is also hard to engage and disengage. I think that since i changed the angles, i now need to refit the safety. I am not sure if the half cock issue is associated with possibly cutting the sear too short, possibly needing to readjust the over travel or interference with the safety.

Thanks

Sounds more like an assembly issue. Stoning of the sear and hammer would not cause that problem. I would check the position of the sear spring and make sure the disconnector is installed correctly, reassemble and try again.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Might be an assembly issue. But it's also possible that you stoned the sear nose to the point where there's not enough surface to catch on the hammer hooks, assuming those weren't cut down too far. There's no way to tell if the parts are salvageable without seeing them. That includes the thumb safety. Best bet at this point is to take it to someone who knows what he's looking at.

I attempted to re-stone my sear and trigger hooks on my 2011 and i messed something up and likley need a new sear. Existing sear extends above .020 shim in brownells jig. Issue is that upon pulling the trigger, the hammer will often fall to the half cock position. The safety is also hard to engage and disengage. I think that since i changed the angles, i now need to refit the safety. I am not sure if the half cock issue is associated with possibly cutting the sear too short, possibly needing to readjust the over travel or interference with the safety.

Thanks

Height above the jig doesn't tell if the sear is short, the jig has an angle adjustment so the length depends on where the angle was set. It is possible to stone the sear too short and make the hammer follow. Did that once when I was apprenticing.