Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

Good point. I've done that once in a while but I need to make that a formal part of the beginning of each session and at a match as well ...thx!

Try and make that first run in practice just like your first run in a match. Get "warmed up" and shoot "for real".

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shot Accelerator yesterday and although I didn't come away from the session thinking it went very well my times continue to come down. Ave time for 9mm was 4.45 secs and for my 2 previous matches my ave time was 5.3 secs. However, for the 14 runs I did I was unable to go 5/5 on 8 runs with half of those misses being on the stop plate & the others #4. Therefore, my actual times are probably slower since I'm only counting runs where I don't have a miss. I need to b e able consistently go 5/5 in 9mm like I'm able to do in rimfire. Transitions were very consistent at .5/.7/.5/.5. I did 1 Speed Mode run in 2.69 secs with a draw of 1.3 secs and transitions of .3/.3/.3/.3.

On the rimfire side I was having all sorts of trouble just hitting the plates before I finally realized that my C-More had come loose ... by the time I got it zeroed again I only had time for 5 runs .... ave time was 3.20 secs. Ave over the last year in matches was 3.45 so I'm still showing improvement and all 5 runs were 5/5.

I've only got a couple of training sessions before the Nationals and I've decided to do my last session on Wed at Titusville so I can get a feel for any differences from what I've been training against before I shoot for score ...should be a fun match ...

Almost forget to report on the results of my monthly club match .... having not put 2 holes in any paper target since my Feb. match I didn't set very high expectations for this match ... and unfortunately I lived up to them. previously I set a new goal for club matches of no Ms having determined this to be my single biggest 'match performance' issue. Unfortunately, since I've been totally focused of prepping for the US Steel Nationals I didn't even bother to review my goals for the match ....

Of the 7 stages, I was happy with my performance on 1 stage (4th place) & reasonably happy with one other (5th place). Of the 26 production shooters there were 2 Master & 3 B class shooters who are clearly better than me at this time. For the other 5 stages I had one kind of 'issue' or another ...

By far the worst aspect of the match was my 6 Ms & 2 Ds. Two of them were on the classifier which I basically zeroed ... so much for making B before Area 6 ..... One was on a swinger where I also scored 1 of my 2 Ds. One was on a popper that I know I hit and it wasn't until ULASC that I realized it was still standing. In a bigger match I may have called for a calibration but not here. The last 2 Ms were 3 yd targets tucked in at 90 deg from a port requiring an extreme lean to get at. I need to ensure on these types of targets that I get all the easy points available.

On the positive side there were a couple of +20 yd targets which I shot A-A. There was also a drop turner which I shot A-A. My stage planning was also good and I didn't have any mental lapses. I spent enough time visualizing before each stage & shot my plans.

Of the 8 shooters that finished ahead of me in the standing, only the 2 Masters shot more As than I did. As in the past the Mikes did me in. If I would have shoot a clean match with no other changes I would have finished 4 places higher ...

For my next match, which will be 1 week before Area 6 I will have only 1 goal - shoot a clean match. I simply must get this problem fixed if I expect to make any meaningful improvements over where I am now ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from shooting the rimfire match of the US Steel National Championships. Not sure where I finished yet but I'm pretty sure I shot a personal best today. I only stubbed my toe on Outer Limits which I knew was going to be an issue for me since I had only shot it 2 other times since beginning to shoot SC matches in Jan 13. My club typically doesn't shoot that stage at our matches and for the last 2 weeks I could not train on it either since our Action Area had stages on all the bays for USPSA and 3-gun matches ....

Not making excuses, that's just what happened. Next year I'll be much better prepared for Outer Limits ....

I ended up shooting a time of 109.33 secs. (23.6 of which was Outer Limits) I should be able to shoot that stage in 5-5.5 secs per string which by itself, with no other improvements would give me a shot to break 100. Most likely, breaking 100 will be my SC goal between now and next year's Nationals ....

I'm off tomorrow and then will be shooting the center fire match in the Production Div on Sun. Given that this will be only my 3rd center fire SC match my goal is to just shoot clean stages with no more than 1 M/U shot per stage for the 4 strings used each time. Given how slow my draw is at the moment I'm not going to get to worked up over stage times. My focus will be on transitions.

Hopefully I'll finish high enough to at least get a koosie from the prize table ....

Edited by Nimitz

I took pics of every stage during my practice session on Wed which I'll try to post. I can tell you that basically all the steel was set so that it is squarely facing the shooter, even if that did not place it parallel to the berm ...

I took pics of every stage during my practice session on Wed which I'll try to post. I can tell you that basically all the steel was set so that it is squarely facing the shooter, even if that did not place it parallel to the berm ...

Thanks man. Hope you had a great match!

Alright, all the US Steel Nationals results are in so it's time for some reflection on the match ...

Rimfire match:

Overall I was happy with my performance in the rimfire match. I finished 33rd out of 80 competitors for all divisions combined and 24th within my open division. I had one personal best stage score on 5 To Go. I was .45 secs short of my best match score as well (which included the 1 penalty on Outer Limits) for the 11 rimfire matches I've shoot since starting with Steel Challenge in Jan 2013.

Unfortunately, for the 6 stages I was able to do some training on in the last month, my training times were 1 to 1.5 secs faster in all cases. This some thing I need to put at the top of my priority list for the remainder of 2014 - how do I close the gap between what I can do in training and what I can do in a match? Clearly I am demonstrating the technical skills to shoot at a higher level but I need to figure this out ....

I assume my mental toughness program is the culprit but not 100% sure yet ...?

One last stat I ran was to take all my best stage times from previous matches (which actually occurred over only 3 matches) and see where that would have put me ... that total would have been 93.54 secs which would have placed me 20th overall for this year's Nationals ...

Centerfire Match:

Overall I was quite disappointed with my performance. I realize that I had only shot 2 centerfire matches prior but I struggled the entire day. While I shot Roundabout in a personal best time by .5 secs & Smoke & Hope & Speed Option within .5 secs of my best match time, I really struggled on the other stages. I didn't have any penalties but I had a lot of trouble with the first DA shot, even on some of the closer targets. Not really sure what was going on but I definitely felt 'off' the entire day ... Particularly disappointing was that my training times were 3-6 secs faster per stage on the stages I was able to train on over the last month. If I could have managed to get even slightly close to those times I would have had a great match ...

I wasn't feeling any particular pressure either as I didn't have a lot of expectations ... I was actually a lot more nervous at the start of the rimfire match since I knew I could put up good times but got control of that with the breathing technique Seeklander taught me and shot the first stage of the match 25/25 in a overall 2nd personal best time ... centerfire was a different story, 1st run of the day I missed the 2nd 18x24 plate on Excellator. Thinking back I believe instead of moving my eyes to the next target after breaking the shot, I was moving the gun just prior to breaking the shot ...

I've also got a few equipment additions/changes I'm considering after seeing what others who shoot a lot of SC due. In particular, I might look at a dedicated open centerfire gun in addition to my open rimfire gun.

Well, with Area 6 2 weeks away I don't have a lot of time to dwell on SC so I'll write up a good set of notes and pick it up again in a month or so ...

Even though Area 6 is right around the corner I decided to stick with my normal routine of taking the week off after a big match ...as it turned out my home range was closed all week any way in prep for the FL State IDPA Championship so I couldn't have shot if I wanted to ....

I decided that I'm going to switch to open in the center fire division of Steel Challenge so I put the week to good use and went on the hunt for a dedicated open gun in 9mm minor. It didn't take too long and I found a very nice STI Steelmaster from another forum member. Gun may be here as early as the end of next week and I'll post some pics when I get it.

Tomorrow morning I'll be heading to the range to chrono my new 147 load to make sure I don't have a repeat of the disaster at last year's Area 6 ....

I'll be heading to GA early on the 11th so that I get there early enough to check out the stages Fri afternoon since i decided to shoot all day Sat vice my normal Sat afternoon/Sun morning schedule I usually shoot at these matches. I didn't want to shoot for 4 hrs on Sun and then have and 8 hr drive home on top of that ....

As with last year the prize table is random draw which I really like and when you pick up your registration pkg the priz you've won will be indicated in your pkg, nice ...

No classifiers this year but there is a PPR and a Texas Star, can't wait .... We have PPR that we use all the time so that should be fun ... I'll be shooting on squad 2 for anyone who is going. We have 5 Production GMs on the squad soni'm looking forward to learning a lot ...

Edited by Nimitz

As with last year the prize table is random draw which I really like and when you pick up your registration pkg the priz you've won will be indicated in your pkg, nice ...

They did that at the Alabama sectional match. I thought it was very cool. I'll be working stage 6 on Saturday (shooting Friday) so be sure to say hi when you come through.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I got my match loads chronoed and I'm sitting right at 134 at 75 deg so I should be good to go... I was curious to see where I stood after only shooting SC for 5 weeks. Started out shooting the accelerator drill which is a good combo of distance and transition shooting. To my peasant surprise my times were right where I had left off, indicating to me that those represent an accurate representation on my current skill level ... I also shot the 'two at 15' drill and again my times were right where I had left off. In fact midway through the drill I managed 5 reps in a row under the 2 sec goal time for this drill with 2 Alphas .... Looks like all the SC speed work may be showing some results ...

On Saturday I went to our monthly USPSA group practice vice the Steel match where we did some drills combining the Accelerator drill, then moving forward to shoot a plate rack, then moving laterally to shoot 2 targets on the move. I was shooting a little high on the 25 yd target, getting some B zone and lucky Alphas. Need to remember to be patience and wait for the sight to return for the second shot. Since I recently switched to a new load with 147s I think my timing may be slightly off WRT to reoil becuase of the new load. At least I seem to be getting my side to side issues worked out as now my shots are centered but some times with one high and one low.

I'm going to shoot both tomorrow and Thurs and then drive to Area 6 on Fri. I'm going to just set up some mini stages over the next 2 days and work on fundamental movement stuff since i've been doing a lot of stand and shoot ...

Edited by Nimitz

Ok, had a few days to digest what happened at Area 6 so I'm ready to summarize my performance ...

1. I made power factor (130.1) this time without issue ... :)

2. I finished 10th in my class out of 28 shooters. I think we may have had one sandbagger as the guy who finished 1st in my class beat 7 A class shooters and 23 B class shooters and shot the match at 68% ...

3. Shooting the match in one day is something I'm still debating whether I like or not. We took 11.5 hrs to complete which was a little too slow for me. I really didn't feel tired until the final stage where we had to wait almost 45 mins to shoot. Luckily I was 4th in the rotation. However, I crashed & burned on this stage (3 Mikes & 3 N/Ss) so maybe it was a bigger deal than I thought ... some of it was related to an equipment issue but I'm not sure how much I can blame on that.

The night before the match I was cleaning my gun and the rear sight came loose. I centered it as best I could but was unsure of the alignment. For most of the match it didn't matter as most stages the targets were close. The few targets which were long range (25 yd+) I traversed without a lot of difficulty but on the final stage there were 2 sets of 2 partial targets at 17 yds with a N/S in the center of each and this is where I racked up the 3 Ms & 3 N/S ...

4. I had 2 Mikes on a 35 yd swinger which I figured would be a problem. I need to learn to shoot swingers this year ...

5. My best stage finish was a 41st place.

6. While my overall match percentage ended up about 5% lower than my current classification I did shoot 4 stages 4-8% above my classification

7. I purposely selected a squad which had 4 GM & 3 M class Production shooters on it, hoping to gain some match insights. After a couple of stages I started to think I had made a mistake ... watching shooter after shooter post blazing fast times with good accuracy made me start to have thoughts that that was the norm I should be shooting at as well. I had to fight that urge, reminding myself that half my squad would likely finish in the top 20 for the match and their shooting was significantly above average. Towards the end I came to like my squad selection more and more as twice I was able to modify my stage plan by watching one of the GMs do their walkthrough to what turned out to be much better plans. That was actually my main reason for wanting to shoot with a bunch of GM/M shooters since I tend to pick a straight forward stage plan and sometimes miss more obvious ways of saving time on a stage ...

8. I still had way too many Ms (8 overall). Only 2 I'm willing to excuse (35 yd swinger), the other 6 should not have happened as they were not on especially hard or long shots. The 3 on the 17 yd partials , while certainly not easy, I should have made . I also had 4 Ds on relatively easy targets ...

9. I was happy overall with my stage planning since except for the 2 aforementioned stages, the stage plans I came up with on my own were the same ones the GMs did ...

Overall, given that I really didn't put a lot of focused time in training for this particular match, coming off all the SC training I was doing, I was happy with my performance.

And lastly I managed to score 1,200 rds of 22LR on the way home from the match ...!

yep, we started on stage 2 so we ended on that stage (stage 1). I wish I could just blame all that on my sight issue but there were lots of other somewhat difficult targets that I didn't have any issue with so I'm forced to accept that it was my shooting, combined with the sight probably slightly off that did me in ...

• 2 weeks later...

ok, while I decided to take this past week off to catch up on a bunch of non-shooting things I did do some shooting stuff ... I've made several thousand rounds of practice ammo with the last of my WST. At this point I only have one 4lb keg of N320 left and last night I realized I didn't have a working load for 147 grain bullets so I made some up to chronio today. I also took the opportunity to make some test loads for my STI Open steel gun using 1 lb of 700X I just got along with some 115g Extreme plated RN bullets.

I got a nice 129 PF load using the N320 for my CZ and also what looks like a good steel load. Right now it's 101 PF and the gun runs fine so next I make up a bunch and do some accuracy testing. The good news is that I didn't have to change my OAL at all so to switch from my Production load to my steel loads I'll just have to change the powder drop & bullets ...

My Safariland 014 holster also came in so I'll need to get that all adjusted and get some dry fire in before the first Sat of May when our monthly SC match is.

Lastly, I'm reworking my training plan to get me to mid Jul which is our club's annual classifier match. Also, I was recently ask to join a squad at the Universal Shooting Academy Pro-Am in Jul as well. I assume it was because they needed someone to act as comic relief ... unfortunately they use your limited or open classification for the prize table division order and since I don't shoot either I will be unclassified which means my trip to the prize table will be just combined order of finish ... maybe I can con someone into letting me use their open or limited rig so I can get a C/D classification before the match ... given the level of shooters who were there last year it probably won't make a huge difference either way ...

Given how my shooting schedule lays out my 'year' ends in April at the annual Area 6 Championship. I doubt I'll be going to the Nationals this fall. Therefore, it's time to assess where I am and plan my training goals & shooting schedule for this next shooting season: May 2014 - Apr 2015. for sure I'll be shooting the US Steel Nationals, Area 6 & the Pro-Am. I need to decide if I also want to add matches like the Fl Open & Fl State Championship as well ...

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to try & bring Ben back out to Fl & my home range some time in the Nov-Feb timeframe. I just got his new dryfire book and have just started to read it and plan to use it as the central component of my new dryfire training program. Recently I had started to experiment with breaking down some of my gun handling drills (draws & reloads) into components to fix some issues I was having and also to see where I'm wasting the most time. Interestingly enough this is the same technique Ben has incorporated into his new book with some drills as well ... great minds think alike .... now if I can just get my physical shooting skills to be on par with him as well I'll be all set ...

Edited by Nimitz

well I just had my entire post deleted for the second time so this is going to be an abbreviated review since I'm a little frustrated right now ....

finished reading Ben's new book & I've finally decided that I need to be executing a 5-6 day/week dry fire program or I will never see much improvement ... I've always known I should be doing this but I've finally DECIDED to do it ...

For yesterday's live fire session I went out & reconfirmed my minimum req'd sight picture for various distances since this is something I need to make sure I stay focused on. At 5 yds all I basically need is to see some part of the post in windage and some part of the FO low & I'm good.

At 10 yds I need to se some sliver of light in windage & again just some part of the FO in elevation

At 15 yds I need about the post's diameter in light and either half the post in elevation high or just the FO low to guarantee alphas.

What was surprising, and something I should have realized before, was how far 'off' the post could be in elevation and still get an A. Given how much taller the a zone is than wider this of course makes perfect sense

for 20 yds & out I pretty much need a good aligned sight picture to guarantee alphas

On the equipment side my Safariland 014 holster came in and I'm considering getting there ELS system so that I can just have one belt for both USPSA Production & SC Open. Also, when I pick up shooting 3-gun again later this year I'll be able to use it for that as well. I really like my CR speed mag pouches & Bladetech holster and saw where someone had done a mod so that you could mount them to the ELS & belt which is what I plan to do as well. I'll also be converting my load-2 system so it can be used with the ELS.

I also haven't got much chance to dry fire any surrender draws with my STI & holster so I think for Saturday's SC match I'll just be shooting the rimfire open division. I'll probably bring the gun and try a few runs after the match is over since I've yet to shoot any steel with an open center fire gun ...

I've also been chatting with Ben about brining him to my home range some time in the Dec-Jan timeframe to teach a class. I'll be requesting permission from our Club board at their next monthly mtg to do so ...

Edited by Nimitz

So I've added a new routine to the beginning of my live fire sessions .... I start off with a bill drill absolutely cold so I can track my progress as I try to close the gap from warmed up to cold starts. Next I'll do the berm drill to verify my grip and sights are tracking. I'll then finish with 25yd and 10yd groups.

Ended up finishing 2nd overall at our club's monthly SC match. I was happy with how i shot considering the winner is an A class shooter whomis well on the way to master. Considering I hadn't picked up my steel gun since the Nationals in March I shot rather well. I stumbled a bit on Pendulum, having to take M/U shots on the trap plate in 4 of te 5 runs but shot the other 5 stages well. Since I had just got my Safariland holster sized to my STI with no dry fire practice I decided to not try and shoot it for the first time at the match.

For this past Monday I did 15 yd doubles, Blake drill and plate rack heads. I did 3 mags worth of doubles and on the last mag I was consistently under the 2 sec goal time with 70% A-A and 30% A-C. For the Blake drill I was down in the .3 transitions and splits. I started out around the 2.75 sec mark for the PRH drill and finally decided to sevhowchard I could push. I was getting under 2 secs bu was inconsistent hitting th first plate. I obviously Ned to work on my high speed draw .... Good session overall.

Didn't get to shoot this morning so I'll be going out both tomorrow and Fri morning and then our regular club match on Saturday. I only have one goal for the match .... Zero Mikes. After Area 6 it was never clearer I must get a handle on this ....therefore Saturday's match is simply pass-fail. If I shoot zero mikes I pass, if not it's a failure ....there is simply no excuse at my current skill level to be recording mikes every match ...

As for equipment, my new Safariland outer belt arrived and it fits perfectly. The inner belt and ELS clips arrives in a few days so I should be able to get the belt setup by next week. Looking forward to having just one belt for everything. I'll also be selling my Camilion Fabrics load-2 belt so if anyone is looking for that let me know ..

I'm also going to be checking the accuracy of my open SC load to see if I need to change it at all

Edited by Nimitz

For this Friday's trng session I started off with my usual cold Bill Drill run ... 2.96 secs, down from a 3.10 sec run on Mon. Wed's run didn't count as I had 2 Cs. I've also added doing a 7yd El Pres run to help force myself to transition faster. I plan to use this as a benchmark to track progress. Once I can shoot it on command at around 75% I'll move back to 10 yds. Today's run was 68.18% (48 pts/6.86 secs)

Now for the Good, The Bad & The Ugly of this weekend's match:

The Good: I had another 2nd place stage run behind the ~90% master shooter who usually shoots our match. I also finished 1st in my class for the first time & finally finished ahead of a shooter I've been "chasing" ever since we both took Mike Seeklander's class 2 years ago. We always squad together and up until this match he has always finished just ahead of me no matter what I shoot ...

The Bad: based on my match performance criterion of zero mikes to consider the match a success & anything else a failure, the match was a failure as I had 3 mikes. This was the lowest number of mikes I've had in several months but still too many. The only difficult target was a swinger covered on both sides by barrels which I shot without issue. Two of the mikes came on one stage on a pair of 23 yd targets between a set of barrels (my worst stage of the match) & the 3rd mike came on the last stage on a long angled target. So, for next month the goal is the same -- zero mikes.

The Ugly: I tanked the classifier Disaster Factor at the match. Now usually when we have a classifier stage the MD likes to set up a short stage in the same bay as the classifier to act as a warmup. Squads get to the bay, shoot the warmup stage & then stay hot & walk over and shoot the classifier. The warm up stage is where I had my 2nd place finsish so you'd think I was in great shape to shoot a good classifier ... not exactly.

This classifier is a top & bottom row of 3 targets with a row of no shoots in the middle. It is a Virginia Count stage where you turn from the surrender position, shoot one row, reload & shoot the second row. So, I shoot the first row with no issue & as I'm performing the reload I see my mag is empty as it is entering the bottom of the magwell ... at least I know I was looking at the magwell during the reload since I immediately hit the mag release as the mag seats & perform another reload & shoot the final row. Unfortunately on a stage that should take 6-7 secs for me, wasting another 1.5 secs (or more) on a 2nd reload is a disaster. Even if I had shot a perfcet score I would have only gotten 53% due to the increased time.

After the stage was over I figured out what had happened ... once completeing the warm up stage instead of discarding the empty mag I put it right back in mag pouch #1 thereby setting me up to grab an empty mag for the reload on the classifier. In retrospect I should have gone ahead and reshot it at the end of the match since my screwup didn't really have anything to do with my shooting ability and was just a fact of running the 2 stages back to back. I was so annoyed at the time I really didn't want to think about it and have it affect the rest of my match so I just let it go instead of contemplating a reshoot ...

Edited by Nimitz

Results from Monday's season: Bill Drill didn't count as I had 1 C 1/4" center left of the A zone. 7yd El Pres was 70.7%, 6.89 secs and 50 pts. 1.59 sec draw, .29 splits, .34 transitions, 2.21 sec reload. This run really highlighted how much my gun handling skills are holding me back ... For example a 1.4 sec draw and 1.5 sec reload are not unreasonable. That reduction of .91 secs would translate into a 81% run with no other changes ....

I also did Blake drills and averaged .31 sec transitions and splits

I ended with 15 yd doubles. The first 6 were all under 2sec but hits were only 3 A, 5 C, 4 D. Second set of 6 were again under 2 secs but with poor hits, 6 A, 3 C, 3D. Almost all of the Ds were first shots so I refocused on seeing the front sight clearly at all times. For the last 2 sets my times were above 2 secs ( ~2.25) but with better hits ... 5 A, 7 C and 5 A, 5C

Edited by Nimitz