Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best bullet puller?

If you want to reuse the bullets, I bought a Forester collet type and set it up in an inexpensive Lee $15 single stage on corner of my bench. It is quick and easy. No pounding

I have tried on several occasions to use a collet type and I just can not seem to get to work! For pistol caliber's I use a kinetic bullet puller and for rifle calibers I use my press and a pair of side cuts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like the hornady collet style puller.

I have had 2 batches of about 200rds each that I needed to disassemble for various reasons.

I did the first batch with an RCBS hammer, and man was that a chore.

I did the 2nd batch with the collet style puller and it went so much easier and faster.

Good luck,

Steve

I have tried on several occasions to use a collet type and I just can not seem to get to work! For pistol caliber's I use a kinetic bullet puller and for rifle calibers I use my press and a pair of side cuts! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You use the upward stroke of the press to bring the cartridge in contact with the collet. Ease your bullet into the collet and then tighten down on the bullet. Then use the downward stroke of the press to pull the case away from the bullet that is locked into the collet. After the bullet is pull loosen the collet and the bullet should fall out. Easy.

After you get the hang of it you should be able to do 8-10 per minute.

Edited by Flash66

I'm a newbie to reloading so please pardon me if this is an ignorant comment and question.

I'm loading .45 ACP LSWC's and I'm guessing that that there is not enough of the full diameter part of the bullet exposed above case mouth to use either a collet puller or the Grip-N-Pull (video above).

So, is a kinetic / hammer puller the only option for me?

The bullet in the pictured load is actually seated a little higher than I like. EC3_45ACP_LSWC_400x382.jpg

I'm a newbie to reloading so please pardon me if this is an ignorant comment and question.

I'm loading .45 ACP LSWC's and I'm guessing that that there is not enough of the full diameter part of the bullet exposed above case mouth to use either a collet puller or the Grip-N-Pull (video above).

So, is a kinetic / hammer puller the only option for me?

The bullet in the pictured load is actually seated a little higher than I like. EC3_45ACP_LSWC_400x382.jpg

how many do you have to pull? If its just a few a hammer will do, if you have a bunch to pull, I would try to find a collet puller that would fit the taper section on the bullet.

...<snip>...how many do you have to pull? If its just a few a hammer will do, if you have a bunch to pull, I would try to find a collet puller that would fit the taper section on the bullet.

I've just been gearing up. After I ordered my press I put together a short list of the bits of gear that I MUST HAVE to safely start making some ammunition. I had decided that, especially being a newbie, I might likely find myself in a situation where I'd need to UNload a cartridge.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

That's nice because of the different calibers in one tool. The pistol looks like it would be a pain, but pretty fast for rifle. But a collect puller will be faster if you have lots of bullets to pull.

Edited by ScottyPotty

That's nice because of the different calibers in one tool. The pistol looks like it would be a pain, but pretty fast for rifle. But a collect puller will be faster if you have lots of bullets to pull.

Awww, heck.... Now I don't know which way to go... Not sure that it'd be all that much faster that the GRIP-N-PULL, but it's cheaper for me since I only have to buy the collets I need...

• 4 months later...

If you don't have a lot of pulling to do, the hammers work fine, although I'm not thrilled with the rubber O-rings that hold the collet pieces together. For volume, I am going to look at the other ones suggested in the thread.

Dog