Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would their be any interest in a DA decocker?

Uhhhh..... taking a gun that wasn't even designed to have a decocker function and expecting an after market parts manufacture to magically make a decocker kit is unrealistic. There is zero demand for this or EAA/Tanfoglio would already be producing a decocker style pistol. I don't see how any aftermarket parts manufacture would even attempt to tackle a project like that. If you can't sell thousands of these kits each year, its not worth the effort to make it.

CHA-LEE has little patience for these thought exercise projects, which have little appeal other than to do crazy stuff no one else is doing, but this kind of thing is right up my alley :eatdrink:

This is the Jericho 941:
jericho941-2-c.jpg
Also known as the Baby Eagle, Uzi Eagle and the Desert Eagle Pistol, it is essentially an Israeli clone of the Tanfoglio, sort of...

The Jericho at one time (I don't know the current situation) was mostly manufactured in Italy, by Tanfoglio then shipped to Israel for assembly by Israeli Military Industries (IMI) and at one point Israeli Weapons Industries (IWI); they have been imported to the US by KBI, O.F. Mossberg & Son, Magnum Research and Kahr. Barrels, magazines, hammers, triggers and other parts are directly interchangeable between the Jerichos and the Tanfoglios: the 9mm, .40 and .41AE models are small framed and the .45 is large frame. I have owned both small and large frame Jerichos and Tanfogios. The big difference between the Jerichos and the Tanfos is the slide mounted decocker safety. There were some frame safety Jerichos, but they are rare. This decocker is much simpler than the CZ decocker:

CZ_75_SP-01_TACTICAL.png

It uses a V notch firing pin:

113270.jpg

and when the decocker is engaged it blocks the firing pin and simultaneously depresses the sear, dropping the hammer.

If you want a 9mm decocker you might also look at a TA90:

tanfoglio_2tone.jpg

They're small framed and the one I had swapped slides with my Tanfoglios.

The other benefit of the slide mounted decocker on the Jerico or other Tanfolio bassed pistols is it does not affect the trigger pull like the frame mounted ones on the CZ are said to. all the one on the slide does is retract the firing pin (so the hammer cant hit it) and release the sear dropping the hammer.

on the down side for competition changing a DA/SA witness to a decocker would probably take it out of production as I dont think it could be done without changing any external parts.

Mike

The point I was trying to make is that if you want a pistol that has a decocker function, just go buy one that already has that feature. Or spend thousands of dollars trying to make a custom decocker setup on a gun that wasn't designed to have one. The path of least resistance and least cost usually wins.

The point I was trying to make is that if you want a pistol that has a decocker function, just go buy one that already has that feature. Or spend thousands of dollars trying to make a custom decocker setup on a gun that wasn't designed to have one. The path of least resistance and least cost usually wins.

I agree

Hmm... I don't think there are very many pistols on the market that were designed to have a decocker. The P220 and its progeny are all that I can think of right now. I'm sure there are others, but most were not originally designed to have a decocker.

More significantly - the CZ75 wasn't originally designed to have a decocker. But you can buy a CZ75 with a decocker. Tanfoglio's pistols are copies of the CZ75, so the idea of a witness with a decocker is hardly an insane idea. Even less so considering that the Jericho has a decocker and was apparently produced by tanfoglio at some point. And of course there is the TA90... Frankly, I'd be surprised if it took thousands of dollars to adapt the CZ decocker to the witness. I'm sure it won't just drop in, but the design is already done. It would just need to be adapted.

Now, if the design work wasnt already out there, sure - you could end up spending thousands of dollars. For example, I can't imagine what would be involved in creating a decocker for the 1911 (why anyone would want a decocker on an SA pistol is another matter).

One last point - I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that there is zero demand, orherwise Tanfoglio would make a decocker witness model. I don't think Tanfoglio is the type of company that always has its finger on the pulse of gun buyers. I love my Tanfoglios, but "responds to customer demand" is not the way I would describe the company.

If they responded to customer demand, I'd be shooting a brand new small frame limited pro.