Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Clay Dot?

Crtsharris

Since I can't find any powders in stock ie Clays, Universal, WSF, 231 etc.... I noticed that Wiedners had some Alliant Clay Dot in stock. I read some topics on this powder and it claims to be similar to Clays. Wrote to Alliant to get their view on using Clay Dot in various pistol calibers, but wanted to get some input from you guys.

Has anybody had success with Clay Dot? What calibers do you load?

Thanks,

Curtis

I used to load it in 12ga.

Its a great powder if your looking for something fast. Its mimics Hogdon Clays VERRY closely. I'll have to go back and look, but if I remember correctly it was almost interchangeable with Clays in my 12ga. loads.

IMHO, its too fast for 9mm or .40.

However, my current .40 powder is Alliant American Select, and it is working perfectly.

Thanks for the response but I don't reload shotgun. Looking more for pistol load data in 9mm, 40S&W, 38 Special and 45 ACP. So frustrating not seeing any powder in stock.

I realize you dont load shotgun.... but you are asking about a shotgun powder.

Like I said, American Select is often overlooked. I have been able to buy it when I want it.

It has big flakes, but has been a fantastic pistol powder for me.

Like Mr. Sanders said, I have used it for 12ga shotgun loads and found it to be identical to Clays for those loads so I don't know why it would be any different for pistol.

I recently started loading 9mm with Winchester Super Handicap. I've been very happy with the results.

Sorry Mr. Sanders, and thanks again for your response.

No apologies needed!

Just wanted to clarify why I made my original statement.

I think backing off a few grains from your Clays load a trying some Clay Dot would be fine. Chrono and see where that gets you.

However, this is only a suggestion and should not be taken as literal load data.

I use SOLO 1000 in 9mm, .40, and .45. Recoil is a push, very little smoke, and clean shooting. Makes Major easily in .40 and .45.

If you can find it. Check Powder Valley at least once a day.

Thanks for the response but I don't reload shotgun. Looking more for pistol load data in 9mm, 40S&W, 38 Special and 45 ACP. So frustrating not seeing any powder in stock.

Thanks for the responses guys! I do have 16 lbs of WST shipping tomorrow, but don't see much WST load data for 9mm bullets. Lots of Clay data so I was thinking of trying Clay Dot if there wasn't too much negative input. It seems like Clay Dot may be a best kept secret when it comes to pistol loads and I'll have to give it a try when I get close to running out of Unique.

I've been using a cool site that locates powder, primer and cases. This is how I found out about Clay Dot http://www.gunbot.net/reloading-supplies

Take care guys and thanks again for the help :)

Curtis

Edited by Crtsharris

Well I got a response from Alliant and they said they have not tested Clay Dot in pistol calibers, so they say to use other recommended powders. You would think they are missing an opportunity of expanding their powder application with Clay Dot by not doing that testing. Why duplicate the popular Hogden Clay powder if they don't fully test it to compete with every caliber that Clays is popular in it's use? Well, I will see what else comes as my Unique jug empties, but if I have no other choice than I will try the Clay Dot if it's still available.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!!

Curtis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alliant once told me to let them know how it works in .38 and .45 acp......

How did it work? Just curious. I did get some clays from Powder Valley, but wouldn't mind knowing if it's a decent substitution.

Well, I found 2.2-2.5 grains clay dot worked well with 148 gr hbwc's. under 1" groups at 25 yards.

I load 3.4 grains under a 185 Magnus swaged swc for .45 acp.

I'm currently trying the same (3.4 gr) with 115 gr Hornady HAP JHP bullets in 9mm. It cycles the Springfield 1911-A1. so next, we'll try the PPC course and see how it compares to some Montana Gold loads..

ran some new loads thru the 9mm today over the chronograph at 10'

comparing Clay Dot and WW 231 in my gun with 115 gr Hornady HAP bullets, OAL 1.125

the 3.8 gr Clay Dot averaged 1093 fps with a S.D of 10 and ES of 37, the group size at 25 yards off a bag was about 2 1/4"

light recoil and a softer sound. (subjective.

The 4.4 gr WW 231 load averaged 1112 with a S.D of 11 and ES of 39, the group size at 25 yards was comparable.

the recoil was stouter and definitely louder!

At this point, I'm going to load up the 3.8 Clay Dot load and use it for our indoor PPC (50') 60 rd course. If it shoots 600x600, I'll know it's a keeper lol

Edited by perazzi