Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please critique my latest IDPA match

FTDMFR

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate your critique of my latest match:

I'd definitely like to improve on getting into position and on target more quickly, speeding up my transitions and splits, and improving my accuracy on farther targets.

Any suggestions on what else I should work on would be much appreciated!

There are times where it appears that you are clearly looking for holes in the targets. This is a time waster. Your transitions stood out the most to me as needing work, and that could be the result of looking for holes... time wasted looking at a target you've already shot is time that could be spent finding and driving the gun to the next target spot.

Most of your movement is very timid too, sometimes a couple of choppy steps are all that is needed, but sometimes you need to move hard. This can also be the result of a lack of confidence in your shots and/or looking for holes on the target... its tough to bust ass out of a position if you're unsure if you need to hang around to take make up shots.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think Stage 3 is the only one where I was checking the targets. I usually just call my shots and take makeup shots as needed without checking the target, but for some reason I reverted back to checking targets on this stage. I definitely need to work on this more.

I'd definitely like to improve on getting into position and on target more quickly, speeding up my transitions and splits, and improving my accuracy on farther targets.

Do all of those and you'll be a vastly improved shooter. Learn to call your shots so you're not looking for hits. Move on the "BE-" and not on the "-EP". Be ready to shoot when you reach your position, otherwise you're wasting time. Prep the trigger so when your sights hit the target you're ready to shoot.

Practice this for 6 months and then do another video to see the difference.

On one of the stages, you are at right cover and run dry. You then lean back behind cover to do your reload, and then lean back out. That is a time waster and is not needed. If you are behind cover to shoot then you are behind cover to reload. Don't shift back into cover when doing your reload.

getting into position-this is all figured out on the walk through. find a spot on the ground that can't be erased or moved and make it your mark to hit as you approach the barricade. if you don't have a mark to eye ball as a visual reference while running up to the barricade you are much less likely to hit where you need to be/want to be.

getting on target more quickly- again, when doing your walk through, knowing where the targets are and how many of them is great. but as few targets as there are and with a written stage description i think you can spend more of your brain power/memory on remembering where your gun needs to be from one side of the barricade to the other in relation to the target. find a scratch, smudge, bullet hole or whatever so that you know pretty closely where the gun needs to be to be on the -0 as you present it around the barrel or wall or whatever.

also, move your eyes to the target before you move the gun to it.

dry fire set ups, with a timer, in your house or garage. 3' feet to the side and 3' back from a bianchi barricade. set targets up and a par time.

transitions- do the stuff i just mentioned above. this is one thing where you can really increase your ability with dry fire as it is really about your visual ability and not your shooting ability.

splits- bill drills, bill drills, bill drills. 7 or 10 yards. 6 rounds. anything out of the -0 means you failed. i will also give away one of my top secret tips for better splits. i set the metronome app on my phone to "click" at a pace that equals a click every .20 of a second, which is a pretty good split. then i will pull the trigger on my SIRT pistol for as long as i can at that pace while on one target at first and then transitioning between targets.

there ya go!

This is all great stuff! Thanks for the help Rowdy.

I've been trying to find a good way to practice transitions with dry fire, and this is very helpful.

I just moved into a place that is big enough to run around a bit and use the walls as cover. Looks like it's time to build some target stands and start practicing. I'm sure the girlfriend is going to love that...

I placed 2/27 in SSP in that match.

• 4 weeks later...
There are times where it appears that you are clearly looking for holes in the targets. This is a time waster. Your transitions stood out the most to me as needing work, and that could be the result of looking for holes... time wasted looking at a target you've already shot is time that could be spent finding and driving the gun to the next target spot.
Most of your movement is very timid too, sometimes a couple of choppy steps are all that is needed, but sometimes you need to move hard. This can also be the result of a lack of confidence in your shots and/or looking for holes on the target... its tough to bust ass out of a position if you're unsure if you need to hang around to take make up shots.

+1