Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 PC grips?

VSchneider

I just bought a new 625 PC with the red, white and blue grips. My question is are the grips on this gun true Jerry Miculek grips? I find them a bit thin for my taste. I usually use Hogue grips but have considered ordering ordering grips from Jerry Miculeks web site Bang Inc. But if these feel the same as the ones on the 625 PC I don't want them and will continue to use the Hogues.

We just got a 625PC into the shop a couple weeks back. They look like Jerry grips from a distance but they are much flatter. They feel pretty bad in the hand, nothing like the Jerry grips I have on my 627. You'll be much happier with a real set from Bang inc.

Thanks Pat,

From the pictures I have looked at of the real Miculek grips they looked more "round" than the ones on my PC do but its nice to hear that I was right. I think I will try a set from Bang Inc. and see how they feel.

Thanks again.

Pskys2,

I haven't tried the big butts yet but am getting ready to order a set for my open class revolver. Its a Taurus 608 that has been rebarreled with a dual port slab side 6" barrel, a custom aluminum under lug to keep weight down, moon clipped and a c-more sight with a 6 min dot. Back when I set up the gun I put a set of rubber Hogues on it but now that I see I can get the big butts I think they will work well.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would imagine you're already made up your mind, but give the VZ's a look. I've got a set on my 625 and they are great. Very agressive, and fit quite well. Good luck.

VZ's, the G10 laminates? How are they on the hand compared to Wood and Rubber Hogues? I've felt some from Hogue at the Nationals and they feel like they would give a great grip, but worried they would beat my thumb like wood.

I use the newer S&W factory rubber grips with pebble texture. Very comfortable, cover the backstrap but smaller than the X-Frame style grips. They come on the 629, not sure what else. You'll need to call in an order direct to S&W and wait a bit.

I use the newer S&W factory rubber grips with pebble texture. Very comfortable, cover the backstrap but smaller than the X-Frame style grips. They come on the 629, not sure what else. You'll need to call in an order direct to S&W and wait a bit.

I've been wanting to try the X-frame grips on my 625, and have wondered about the size. A couple of weeks ago I swapped the aforementioned grips from my 629 to my 625 and shop our club's match. I didn't care for it because it is such a long grip that I'm required to hold it more one the side than center the grip in the web of my hand. Does anyone know exactly what this grip is called? My new 686 has the same grip on it, too, but the reach to the trigger isn't quite so long.

I would imagine you're already made up your mind, but give the VZ's a look. I've got a set on my 625 and they are great. Very agressive, and fit quite well. Good luck.

VZ's, the G10 laminates? How are they on the hand compared to Wood and Rubber Hogues? I've felt some from Hogue at the Nationals and they feel like they would give a great grip, but worried they would beat my thumb like wood.

Pix as promised:

IMG_1724_zps543c5a4d.jpg

The Hogue set I saw at the Nationals were a one piece and looked real good. I like the grip surface, won't slip. I like the looks too. But wood grips beat my thumb joint badly, 200 rounds of major will usually split the skin at the base and I have very work hardened hands.

Price difference is huge also.

I find the wood, no matter how aggressive they are stippled, or checkered, just get slippery with sweat after a while. I shot a match last weekend, used something like 260 rounds, with no problems with the grips. Wish I could say the same for some of my reloads.