Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was going to pick up one of those $100 Android tablets from Walmart tonight. I think it's a 7 inch model.

I do have a Best Buy gift certificate that I could use. Is there a better deal to get?

I plan to run practiscore on it, for one. (I get the batrtery life...I have a battery pack already.)

I have the Nexus 7 and LOVE it. About twice that $100 walmart model though. Mostly heard decent stuff about the walmart model (don't know the brand) with the exception of battery life.

That's probably just fine. It's a known brand (I think the nexus 7 is made for google by asus), and a good price. I look at these solely from a practiscore match scoring standpoint. Standing outside with the screen brightness turned up all the way, will it last the entire 7 hours? Probably not, but with any backlit screen device, you're going to need a really exceptional battery anyway to avoid having to bring along an external usb battery charger to keep it running all day.

There is no problem bringing an extra battery pack along.

I bought it at Wal-mart, drove to McDonald's (to use their wifi)...then off to the range for a local Steel match with it. It only came about half way charged up. It seemed like it would make it through the match, but I didn't want to risk it. I hooked it up to a battery pack, which I carried in my cargo pocket. No problem. I was out of the sun most of the time. (Our bays have covered areas in the back.)

Plus...I get a spare Android device.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it doesn't have Google play on it, it has a proprietary one. There is a hacker upgrade for it that updates it to newest version and adds play. It works great. Did 6 of them for my nieces at Christmas. Quick, easy and very stable.

It has Google Play. It runs 4.1

I think it already has a big brother that is out (better processor/screen/cameras/etc....for more money, but still a deal). Seems pretty good, for the price point.

I haven't ran in raw, in bright sunlight for matches.

I find myself using it at home. My gf tried to get it from me the other day, when she failed to manage the battery on her Kindle Fire HD.

I have the Nexus 7 and LOVE it. About twice that $100 walmart model though. ....

+1 and they are made by Asus.

For the battery I leave them oon the charger till leave for the range ~ 6:00am, they sit with screen off / wifi on till about 9:00 am when we do registration and then they are on and in use till 2:00 - 3:00 pm and thern the charge is ~25% or so. Once I did not fully charge the night before, cound have used a battery pack then but otherwise not any problems.

Hope the Walmat version gives you just as good battery life.

It's somewhat funny, but if you look in the IPSC (not USPSA, but rater IPSC) rulebook towards the back, you'll see a series of hand signals (yes, NFL referees would feel right at home!) designed so that the RO can call the hits and flap his arms appropriately while the guy with the clipboard stays under cover from the torrential rain writing down the hits in relative comfort. :lol:

Flex,

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ASUS screen readability in bright light. I'm looking for a tablet dedicated to Practiscore use. I've seen the Nook. It is very good in bright sunlight but I understand that it requires a jailbreak in order to run Practiscore. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something that is usable right out of the box.

The nook is not just very good in bright sunlight, it's absolutely unbeatable, as is it's battery life (score all weekend on a single charge) and cost per unit at $79 each. Downside is you do have to root it, but you only have to do that once, and my choice for a rooting procedure is really not all that difficult to follow. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166830

I haven't seen the thread with the sun shade. I will have to check that one out.

During the USPSA BOD meeting, Ken gave a presentation on Practiscore. He showed what I believe was a sheet of kydex, for an Ipad. About as wide as the device...it simply curled under the very lower end of the Ipad, ran along the back of the Ipad, then over the top...with a longer leg that severed as a sun shade (at an angle). The idea being that, whatever the sun was...you pointed the shade the sun.