Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to begin?

After shooting our local "outlaw" defensive pistol matches for a couple of years, I'm finally taking the plunge into USPSA. But I am not sure what division to shoot in. From digging through the rules and searching on the forums, it looks like I have what I need for three divisions and I need to choose between revolver, single stack, and limited-10.

I bought a 625 specifically to shoot USPSA and I'd really prefer to use it, but I just recently acquired a holster and moon clip carrier. I need to start spending some time every night working on draws and reloads if I'm going to use it.

I've had 1911's for 25 years and am quite familiar with the platform. I probably could stand to have a couple more 8 round mags, and need to work on my reloads

I've been using my Browning High Power at our local matches, just change the mag carriers and use the same holster as the 1911. Again, pretty familiar with this one.

Every day I've decided to shoot the 625. And later that day I've decided not to. I need to settle down and make a final decision so I can get some meaningful practice in what little time I have left before my first match.

Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Each division is different with pros and cons. It really comes down to what gun do you like to shoot the most? It sounds like the wheel gun to me. Don't over think this. Just pick one and start shooting ...

It's not a life long contract. Take one and have fun. I do suggest for your first uspsa match that you shoot the gun you are most familiar with. There are plenty of new things to learn so adding in a new gun just ups the pressure some. Be safe! Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Each division is different with pros and cons. It really comes down to what gun do you like to shoot the most? It sounds like the wheel gun to me. Don't over think this. Just pick one and start shooting ...

Nimitz nails it. You're shooting for fun, so pick what you like the most.

I frequently shoot my 1911 in 3-gun matches despite the disadvantage compared to my G34 or SP-01. Why? It's fun to shoot a 1911.

You're not picking the last gun you'll ever shoot in a match, just the next one. Carpe diem.

My only thought is how many other revo shooters in your club?

If you are the only one that may make you feel , I don't know how to say it.... Strange?

Just because you won't relate to the other shooters the same way on stage breakdowns etc....

Don't get me wrong, revolver is badass, just mabey you want to run with the pack a bit till you get in the groove of shooting matches.

Ether way have fun and welcome to the sport!