Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M-4 IDEAL SCOPE?

lndshrk

don't overlook the mini ACOGS.... in the 0-250m ranges...while not inexpensive, if one of my kids were flying in harm's way I'd find a way to get the best available... the TA44 1.5x16 with amber triangle is a very rugged scope and incorporates the Bindon Aiming Concept....fiber optic and tritium the dot is always on....

a degreased Glock 19 with metal night sights, buttplug and extra mags in ziploc baggies would be my first choice if it met with the CO's approval...along with a sharp pointie thing made by Chris Reeve or Mick Strider....

on an aside note.... there is an excellent opportunity and need for handgun shooting clubs and individuals with a whole lot of experience in what practical shooters do for a hobby to help the young men and women in the armed services, we (in the Tampa Bay area around MacDill AFB and SOCOM) have an open invitation for the young men and women that are issued a sidearm and want to work on proficiency to come out to the practical shooting venues for for a little added trigger time....this sure would be a good practice to be adopted by clubs around the country.... I find a lot of my former students really need help with sidearm qualifications and skill levels....regards

Okay ... I'm in a similar situation ... I want to make sure a the son of a family friend has an Aimpoint in his hands before he leaves for Iraq.

The problem is, there is no way to know if he will be issued an M4 or M16A2, or whether the M4 will be a flat top or not.

If he gets a flat top gun, this is simple. A GG&G, ARMS, or Larue mount, plus a suitable detachable rear sight. Badaboom, badabing.

But if he gets a gun with a carry handle, I'm not sure which gooseneck and mount would be the best combination.

Suggestions?

The ARMS #39A2 works fine on an A1 or A2 carry handle, but won't fit if the gun has a removable carry handle. If that is a consideration, a safer bet is the PRI HR Gooseneck. It will fit virtually any carry handle, and clear the fatter M4 handguards, which the ARMS won't.

After seiing this thread, I looked at some after-action reports on the Army Knowledge Online (AKO) web page about M4 optics. There were reports on C-More, EOTECH, and ACOG. The Army is purchasing samples and dsitributing them in Iraq and Afghanistan to get feedback.

Soldiiers liked the C-More but commented on issues with initial zeroing with no "clicks" or other repeateable method (where have we heard that before?). Personally, I cannot image a C-More surviving in Infantry service - it just seems fragile to me.

Soldiers noted that they wanted magniifcation (4x) on the C-More and the EOTECH.

Overall, the feedback from soldiers was positive on the C-More, EOTECH, and ACOG.