Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Limited Pro to Single Action Only (SAO)

djb25

Maybe it's just another random Tanfoglio mystery that my SAO Hunter came with a standard DA/SA hammer in it (and a terrible 5# pull :sick: )

My Hunter also came with the standard DA hammer, and it took a lot of travel to break. My guess is they did it for liability reasons...

I doubt the different hammers have anything to do with liability concerns. It's possible, but I think Tanfoglio sometimes just uses whatever they have at hand. I wouldn't be surprised if they were short on SAO hammers the day they put those pistols together. Or maybe they were out of the blued SAO hammers. Who knows. I've seen all kinds of weird versions of Tanfoglio pistols. Sometimes they have ambo safeties, sometimes they don't, sometimes they have nice cases, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they have polygonal rifled barrels, sometimes they don't.

Edited by djb25

The Limited Pro I have looked at had the split and the hole for the disconnector, but the hooks were low just like the standard SA hammer.

If you really want to buy a different hammer, then I'd suggest the EGW hammer:

http://www.egwguns.com/eaa/p9-parts/eaa/p9-competition-hammer/

I can say with certainty that the SAO hammer on my brother's match has considerably shorter legs than the DA/SA hammer in my Limited Pro.

My Limited Pro also had a DA pull that was way off of my trigger pull gauge - it stacked so much at the end that I wouldn't have been surprised if it was 20 lbs. The Wolff 13 lbs mainspring greatly reduced the DA pull. It was just over 8 lbs with the Wolff spring and some simple polishing work. I would have seriously considered keeping the gun DA/SA if I thought I could shoot it in IDPA SSP, but since I doubt that's an option, I'm very happy with the SAO trigger.

Edited by djb25

Yea, I don't have to worry about that heavy trigger pull anymore :D

IMG_20130720_213431_804-1_zps5e438cab.jp

That's quite a nice pistol. What's the deal with the slide and compensator? Did you cut down the slide and barrel and rethread? Or is that the slide from a stock?

• 9 months later...

Just got a LIM Pro.. going to use it in USPSA Production next year. Can you explain the part swapping game? The game being, keeping it legal in USPSA Production. I would love to get this DA Circle trigger out. Converting it to SA using the flatter trigger and starting a stage with the wide safety flipped up would be a perfect world for me. It would make the transition from my LIMITED 2011 seamless. Just don't know if you can LEGALLY change it to SA. Any wisdom on this?

I would read up on pages 79-85 in the 2014 USPSA Rulebook before doing anything if you want to shoot Production. They are pretty specific on what one can and can't do as far as staying Production legal. Limited does not have as many restrictions and Open even less. I have only shot Production and love it. Congrats on the new Tanfo.

yeah that is the one I speak of.. and have to heard of a new DA trigger on the horizon for a production model. Would it throw you out of a USPSA match.. that is the question.

BTW.. glad I came here to ask.

Curious your opinion.

Who Me?

I do everything I can myself, I have a drill press with a milling vice and a hand threader, so I can do most everything. The one project I sent out did not go well, so I plan to avoid that in the future. I would say if you're even remotely mechanically inclined you can do all the common mods on these pistols and anything really wild you need to contact one of only a few gunsmiths in the nation (this forum is the best place to find those guys).

AHHHHH YESS.. that is the nice answer I was looking for. I am just that guy who enjoys doing jobs himself. Thanks Kneelingatlas and all for the info.. I now we we got a XTreme DA trigger topic started.. I'll start watching it.. still not sold on a good replacement legal DA trigger..