Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Avast is making my browser run slow

I run Avast for anti-virus, etc and Chrome has been a dog lately; Taking forever to load a page.

So I disable Avast and now my fine machine is running like a scalded cat. Any suggestions ?

I'm not real keen on running naked.

• 8 months later...

I use Avast, but was advised by my computer guy to stay away

from Chrome. I have not had any trouble with Avast or my

computer running slow.

i'd much rather use a different anti virus than use any other browser other than chrome

I use Chrome and Avast and never noticed any change in speed when I switched from IE to Chrome. It may have something to do with the programs you have on the computer. Also I'm running Vista and it may be different if you are running another.

I run Avast for anti-virus, etc and Chrome has been a dog lately; Taking forever to load a page.

So I disable Avast and now my fine machine is running like a scalded cat. Any suggestions ?

I'm not real keen on running naked.

I have had very good luck with the AVG free anti virus software. It doesn't cripple the machine like all the other ones did, has been good at protecting, and it's FREE.

• 1 month later...

Avast isn't the fastest AV out there, but how it's setup can make a difference. Many AV programs hook into your browser to monitor what's going on and to protect you. Most people need a certain amount of protection since there are a lot of traps out there for the unwary but an AV program can overdo it a bit sometimes.

One of the things that makes AVG Free faster is that it has limited functionality. It doesn't do everything that it's bigger siblings do. I use the paid version and have specifically had to disable some of the browser functionality if I want to look up anything faster than a snails pace.

MS Security Essentials takes the opposite approach, less-is-more, which is why it make browsing so much faster. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a tinker toy and isn't very effective. But it's enough if you are careful.

Chrome is a nice browser with some nice features but can be a real dog compared to Firefox and Opera. Open Task Manager sometime and you'll see that even when it's setting idle, it may be eating up processor time.

Now I've got another computer running Windows 8.1 and Avast (free version) and it's running quite well with Google Chrome.

The free version of Avast is like the free version of AVG, it doesn't have all the features of the paid versions. It's the features that you don't have that hook into the browser and slow it down.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had any problems with viruses, et al

This has been my exclusive AV for years now. Even more important than a good AV is keeping everything patched.

Take a look at Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI). It will identify all of these third party patches that you have been missing and help to patch them http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Also, uninstall Java if you don't need it.

Oh, you can also look at OpenDNS which can be configured at your router to provide some blocking of malicious domains and content filtering by category as desired. It's also free for personal use.

• 2 months later...

Since this thread has come back, it's worth mentioning that Chrome is currently rated as the slowest browser on almost every platform. There have been frequent reports on Windows of it eating CPU time like circus peanuts with no way to slow it down. Apparently it has one or more background jobs running constantly.

It's entirely possible that combining Chrome with a full AntiVirus program that scans everything the browser is doing could create something akin to wading through an electronic tar pit.

While I don't make much use of it, there is one solution rarely discussed that can offer a lot of protection - Sandboxie. A sandbox creates something akin to a virtual work space in your computer that you can run a program (e.g. browser) within. If you do happen upon a malicious site the sandbox can contain most or all of the damage.

Sandboxie is "nag ware" - it is free (with some functional limits) but will "nag" you to buy the full version. It's not without it's downsides but it does what it is supposed to do. Here is a brief run down:

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/12/11/sandboxie-review/

I have a paid copy on my computer and have a sandboxed version of Chrome running in it. The install of Chrome is plain vanilla - no addons, no nothing and can be dumped and reinstalled in a heartbeat. It gets used anytime I have to do a broad search for something and am not sure where I am going; you can run into some odd things out there. Two weeks ago I had something try and crawl up my internet connection while I was looking for information on water softeners (of all things). AVG and the sandbox locked it up tight and clearing the sandbox removed any traces.