Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berrys Walnut Polish Media....

JCB

Hi

Just used this for the first time. Used Dillons Corn Cub before.

After cleaning, separeting the media and brass, it look like there is a lot of walnut dust on my brass.

I did use Dillon polish as I do with Corn Cub.

Does it mean I have to put them in a towel for a quick "de-duster"?

Anyone got experiance with this?

Regards

JB

Put a few tablespoons of mineral spirits into the media before cleaning.. It will settle the dust. Also throw in a dryer sheet. Reduces the static cling effect.

Thanks... Hope I cet corn next time.

Like that better. Brass is also much more shiny after.

Any pros for walnut compared to corn?

Or any other things to try instead of walnut and corn?

JB

The walnut is more agressive and cleans faster. You must have gotten an extra dusty batch of media because I don't get that on the brass but I do run mine outside with the top off to let some of the dust escape possibly.

;

I use the Harbor Freight "fine" walnut hulls with a fair amount of Nu-Finish (compared to some other posts) and have no dust problem. Also the "fine" hulls are small enough to not stick in the primer flash holes. However, I do stainless pin before polishing with the walnut hull.

You must have gotten an extra dusty batch of media because I don't get that on the brass ....

I get the same results with Berrys walnut. I've tried spirits, dryer sheets, extra polish, etc and it didn't help much. For a while, I mixed 50/50 with corn and it helped but it was still dusty. I just went back to corn cob for normal cleaning.

I use walnut Lizard Litter from the pet store and the trick for me is to go outside in the wind (the wind never stops blowing where I live!) and--WHILE STANDING UPWIND--hold the media about a foot above the bucket when I'm sifting the brass out, and then do it again when pouring the media back into the vibrator from the bucket. Whatever dust was in there blows away before it gets to the bucket or vibrator, so it's clean for the next batch. Maybe a little bit on the brass shows but not enough to complain about, especially for what I save from getting my media at the pet store down the street instead of being charged way more by an online seller for "official" media and then having to pay shipping on top of it. (FYI, it's a good idea to handle the media outdoors anyway, as that stuff can load up with lead, and you don't want to be breathing the dust or spilling it somplace indoors where it can accumulate over time.)

I´ll go back to corn. Hope they have that the next time :)
Corn dusts also, but dosent stick on the brass like a dusty film.

Thanks for the info...

I feel like the Frankford stuff is just a bit dustier whether its corn or walnut. Not sure how challenging it would be, buy I think that shaking the stuff on a fine screen would make a world of difference. Almost like FA crushes it and packages it without "cleaning" it all.

Steve RA put me onto Nu Finish Car Polish. I had been using Dillon Polish on 2# media and 3 # Brass. With the Dillon I got a lot of dust and I had to keep vacuuming the table top and tumbler to get rid of it after every batch. WITH the SWITCH TO NU FINISH as the polishing agent I now have no more dust problems. I can't get the inside of all the cases shiny like RA does with his stainless needles and then media but the insides are clean enough for reloading as I view it.

I've only used corn cob but I did notice that a combination of a Nu Finish and a dryer sheets cuts the dust down so much that I don't even notice it.

I did get some corn cob from Walmart but learned the hard way that it's too big.....spent an hour trying to get the big pieces out of a couple hundred cases.