Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much to chamfer a 627 cylinder?

Bill H

My 2 cents is that is not quite right. I don't chamfer the ejector nearly that much, just break the edge to ease loading. That way I get good extraction even when dirty.

The cylinder holes are about the same as mine.

I am not good enough to do it with a dremel. If Warren doesn't chamfer for me while he is working on the revo, I use the brownells tool. Like most things I but from brownells they are pricey and worth every single penny.

Kuhnhausens books are great too. No substitute for sitting at the knee of a master like ToolGuy ot Shawn Schoomacher, but useful nonetheless.

You can be OK with that much if you only use moonclips but loose rounds will not extract well. The original S&W job has a fair chamfer near the ratchets but hardly any on the sides of the extractor. That is a good compromise for people who shoot with loose rounds. Someone shooting only moons in competition can get faster reloads with more funnel.

My 2 cents is that is not quite right. I don't chamfer the ejector nearly that much, just break the edge to ease loading. That way I get good extraction even when dirty.

The cylinder holes are about the same as mine.

I am not good enough to do it with a dremel. If Warren doesn't chamfer for me while he is working on the revo, I use the brownells tool. Like most things I but from brownells they are pricey and worth every single penny.

Kuhnhausens books are great too. No substitute for sitting at the knee of a master like ToolGuy ot Shawn Schoomacher, but useful nonetheless.

I've done a few cylinders like that, while I ussually use moonclips, I can load single rounds in and they extract just fine.

Alec

No doubt it works. Poor word choice on my part. I should have said not quite ideal, rather than a value laden term like "right". Hope I didn't offend. This forum is about sharing technique and experience. There are lots of ways to play our sport and enjoy it.

-john