Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snake Belly slide cuts CDP legal?

Will_M

rule book says serrations are legal?!?! Glossary says " Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage" Looks like those are for eye appeal not advantage. I's say Ok BUt the problem with IDPA is the guy who checks your gun amy say its for "Comp advantage"

Bring it to a match and ask for an SO who had worked some big shoots. they should be able to tell you better than I!

Tri-topping would remove more material than the snake belly treatment and it's still considered legal. I also don't see anything wrong with your panel cuts as they appear to be cosmetic. But as jcc noted, ask your SO.

I'm not much of a fan of slide serrations either.

post-36011-0-44069800-1372724950_thumb.j

snake belly should be fine, they are standard on at least one Kimber. The problem you may run into is while a MD or SO at one club may see no issue with the panel cuts another club's team may take issue with it. IDPA like to leave a lot open to individual interpretation

As an IDPA SO (at least for now) and local MD I would say what I think I see in the picture is fine. Most people consder "lightening" cuts to be what you see on USPSA Limited guns, i.e., all the way through or VERY deep & VERY large recesses (like Gans does). Cuts that are on the order of one or maybe two mm would and should not be a concern, especially if they are in the areas and sizes typical of "factroy" serations.

Yes, this is and will remain a subjective area in IDPA rules but, I think most people can tell the diffence between materail removed to improve grip or for astetics vice reducing significant amounts of mass.