Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore and special classifier matches

BostonBullit

My club has been using Practiscore for our matches and things have been running very nicely; we even managed to handle a late arrival without a glitch at last weeks match. Our next match however is an all classifier match and we're hoping to allow competitors to re-enter or run a second gun. I recall reading something in the documentation about this situation but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Has anyone done this with Practiscore yet? what do I need to look out for?

thanks,

Peter

TY-71710

I don't recall any operational issues, off-hand. The only think I can think to watch out for is to make SURE the score-keeper has the right shooter for the division gun s/he's shooting.

Fortunately, PS puts the division out to the side of duplicate names (SS for Single-Stack, L10 for Limited-10, etc) on the screen where the competitor is selected for scoring.

I *would*, however, create a bogus match with 2 or 3 competitors that are entered in several divisions, add several classifier stages, score them all, export them into EZWS and just make sure it works for you.

Better now than after it's too late :)

Practiscore uses the name+USPSA_NUM+Division to identify competitors so I'm not as worried about the guys shooting two guns as I am the guys who want to re-shoot in the same division. haven't done any "re-entry" stuff in the app yet. I'll have to setup a test match and run through everything to see how it flows.

I believe the problem will be people shooting the same gun, same division. Especially if you want to run the match as a match, meaning the first run counts for score against the other shooters. When we did our classifier match, I made a second "match" in practiscore for the reentries then entered those into EzWinScore by hand since there were <10.

Practiscore uses the name+USPSA_NUM+Division to identify competitors

This is only the case for walk-in competitors (there is a checkbox on competitor adding screen) that are added in on multiple devices during match.

Otherwise, at preregistration each competitor is assigned unique id and that should be synced to all devices. I'd suggest to keep uspsa number the same, but add something to competitor name to be able to tell them apart.

I think I'm just going to send a supply of regular paper scoresheets to the classifier stages and have reshoots scored on those, and enter them into ezws after the fact.

That is what we've done at RGPSC, It has also been done for late arrivals, though they could be added, since the Nook moves with the squad.

So last night I fired up the iPad and created a test version of the classifier match we're running this weekend. I added myself in Production, myself again in Lim10, myself again in Production, and then made up scores for each in all the stages. I exported everything and then setup the match in EZWinScore (Level 1 Special, Re-entries = YES) and imported the stages. The stages didn't come in as classifiers so I fixed that and then imported the registration and scores. my first entry showed up normally and then the other two entries showed as RE-ENTRY. The Activity report properly calculated the fees treating me as 3 entries worth.

I wanted to test it with more than just me so I went back to the iPad and entered another shooter twice in different divisions. This generated a message about EZWin shooter IDs that unfortunately I did the stupid user thing to and just selected something randomly :blush:. I entered scores for the new shooter and then exported everything again. Of course because I had already entered scores I had to reset the match in EZWin and start over. when I tried to bring the scores in I found that the new shooter had -1 as his EZWin shooter ID in both entries. I manually cleaned that up and imported the scores and things calculated correctly; the first entry for each of us was counted toward the match score and the others were marked as RE-ENTRY. Again the activity report seemed to calculate correctly.

Have to run the test again with a simplified set of conditions (two stages and two shooters with re-entry) and see where I screwed up with the shooter ID thing. hopefully I'm more awake this time :mellow:.

Having never used EZWinScore before this season I'm fumbling around a bit, hopefully my local technical resource is on-hand Saturday to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Actually your fees were calculated wrong. You say entered twice as production, and once as L10. You should have been charged for only one production and one L10. The idea is that ezws picks and uploads the best single one of your performances in a given division. For production, he should have marked the best performance as "owes fee: yes" and the other one as "owes fee: no". This is another reason I'll be doing special classifier re-entries on paper. And this is NOT a practiscore issue; it's a ezws problem with the palm data transfer interface, which is used to bring scores back and forth between handhelds and ezws.

(Try it: setup an ezws match, define a classifier stage, add yourself as production, add yourself again as production, and score both entries. Then look at the competitor listing and only one of those two should be marked as owing the fee. Run the activity report and it should show only one $3 payment in production.)

Edited by wgnoyes

sure enough Bill is correct....to get the re-entries to show up as "no fee" in EZWinScore I had to enter them manually. I saved a backup of the Practiscore results after sync with all scoring devices but before entering any re-shoot names/scores. When I bring the full match (65 entries) into EZWin it correctly identifies the re-shoots but does not correctly mark them as "no fee" if the shooter went again in the same division. when I bring in the backup that doesn't have the re-shoots and then enter the 20 re-shoots separately it correctly calculates everything. kind of a bummer but it's not like this is an every match occurrence; at least not at my club!