Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Bennelli

M.E.Anglin

Benny:

The propper mispronunciation of this French word is "voeila" also the back of this cut can be cut out at a 45 degree angle and the efect is the same. Ask "Rigger J.J." we did his at the Nationals in about 5 min. with a Dremel he brought!! KURTM

"Ghost Loading" is a term someone made up, (it even confuses me) that means the same as "loading a shell under the carrier", or as I call it "loading a shell on the lift gate". M1's can be set up to be able to load and extra round even when the magazine is full and one is in the chamber, (aka, 8+1+1).

Paris native? I heard he was the queen of England.
:D:D

It was when Kurt got off the train from Paris to London with a newly aquired black French Beret pertched on his noggin that I realised he had turned into Eurotrash :rolleyes:

as for the Queen of England, he did have fun at the Palace when he was over and liked the soldiers all dressed up and marching around. He claimed it was their guns he was admiring....

You can ghost load the SX, but it seems to cause more problems than it solves.

M.E. Anglin:

It is the back of the notch at the very back of the bolt...yea, we would call it the carrier, but Benelli calls the darn thing the bolt. Cut it out at about a 45 degree angle and PRESTO!! ( enough French for now ) you can load the carrier. Ghost loading?? I hadn't heard that term untill very recently. I must admit I didn't know what it was untill it was explained to me by a more knowledgeable shooter. Darn...just when you think you know something!

A qick word on J.B. Weld. Had one guy that took this approach. Ran like a charm right up untill that little blob fell off into the trigger group ( you see the bolt slams back and forth with some vigor and expands and contracts when hot and cold at a much different rate than J.B.). It wedged the disconector causing the gun to double ( no big deal )and on the second shot the hammer hit the top of the disconector causing it to break at the retaining pin and shear off. It then jambed forward and broke the retaining hooks on the trigger, and locked the gun up tight. It took just under10 minutes to diagnose this problem, after he zeroed the stage, it took about $65.00 in parts, once again not that big a thing, but almost 4 months to get the parts : LOVE that J.B.!!! :D:D

Mike it was thier RIFLES I was admiring...this is a family forum..I don't think you can say gun here :P

If you don't want to weld up the bolt carrier, you can also mill or dremel off the section to the rear of the notch. Make that section flat and the same depth as the notch. I heard the JB idea too, but my little voice said "NO!". Thanks for confirming my fear, Kurt! B) I usually have to learn the hard way...

We used 2 part quick drying epoxy on one of our Benelli's before the 2003 SMM 3 Gun and it has, suprisingly, held up fine. The key was using a very small, rough bit and a Dremel to roughen the inside of the notch before placing the epoxy in it. The theory was to give the epoxy something to lock onto. This gun has seen 1000's of shells through it without a problem.

YMMV

I believe that Mark Buchanan, the guy from 3 Gun Gear was using the term "Ghost Load" at least 3 years ago. At least, that is the first time I heard it being used. Why he came up with it or where he picked it up, I have no clue.

• 10 months later...
On the bottom of the bolt, at the rear, there is a grove machined across it. Simpley weld this up & refinish it & WALLA, the ghost load.

does welding on the bolt have any effects on the hardness of the bolt, etc? Are there any special procedures that need to be followed? I have a MIG welder and it would be very easyto fill and smooth that little groove. What is the best way for a DIY to refinish, maybe some cold blue or is there anything better? Thanks for any replies.

Andy

Andy, with as little welding as this takes I dont think the heat is a problem. As for refinish, just blend and polish. But the rule changes lately have made this kind of a moot thing. Just about everone has gone to 9 in the gun to start. This can be done with a 23in tube so the need to ghost load has dissapeared.------Larry

Andy, with as little welding as this takes I dont think the heat is a problem. As for refinish, just blend and polish. But the rule changes lately have made this kind of a moot thing. Just about everone has gone to 9 in the gun to start. This can be done with a 23in tube so the need to ghost load has dissapeared.------Larry

In order to get to 9 nine rounds in the gun to start instead of using a 22-23 inch tube I was planning un leaving the 18.5" barrell on my M1s90, buy an 8 shot extension from benny, and ghost load the 9th. I am real new to the sport (haven't even shot a match yet) so I am welcome to suggestions etc.

lbritt, I can post a picture of my epoxy trial run to make sure I filled the right part of the bolt carrier and that it actaully works when my wife gets home with the digi-cam tomorrow. I can post pics of the weld job next weekend then I weld it.