Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Accurizing from Gunsmiths?

Jeremiah

I'm looking into having a gunsmith do some work on one of my ruger single actions. Just accuracy work, not any speed stuff and not any double action stuff, of course. Can someone recommend a good revolver gunsmith?

What has people had done to improve on the accuracy of a favorite revolver? How much did you spend, and how much gain did you see for your investment?

This will be a deer/silhouette killer, so accuracy will be paramount in all ventures.

Also, can anyone recommend a good 'smith in Ohio/indiana/kentucky area? (cincinnati area, but I'm willing to drive anywhere)

Get a little bit of an education over at http://www.sixgunner.com/backissues/

After you have read through some of the stuff that applies to what you are looking for, check in with the folks at www.sixgunnercommunity.com and click on the discussion section. The best and most knowledgeable single-action folks in the world hang out there. There are also a few yo-yo's.

But like BE, the folks over there are the very best at their game.

Frankly with a bit of reading, a few tools, patience, and courage you can do a lot for yourself.

Much of it is going to be as simple as load development and knowing what size bullet to actually use in your particular gun.

By the way, get used to the idea of running lead for your hunting loads.

Out of curosity, what caliber?

Jeremiah - Unless you're going to scope that Ruger, most of the accuracy work's effects would be more academic than real in the field. My stock Old Model Super Blackhawk will hold the heart-lung area of a deer out to 100 yards, and that's mainly due to my 52-year-old eyes. Add in wobble, plus perhaps some buck fever, and...well, you get the picture. I prefer a rifle past 50 yards due to my less than stellar marksmanship nowadays.

If you've got younger eyes, by all means use them to the fullest!

Now, if you want to have the Ruger accurized just because, that's a fine reason! :D

This isn't going to be done "just because." I want it to work. I love shooting a revolver, and I hold one really well, but the better holding characteristics are cancelled out with the bigger group sizes. This is comparing the holding and accuracy to a Contender. I can't hold a contender as well, but they will shoot circles around a stock ruger revolver, and I don't really want to spend $1200-$1500 on a freedom arms model.

By the way, the ruger is a .44.

In the silhouette circles, you either shoot a freedom arms, or you are shooting against them. Just look at the scores from the past IHMSA internationals, freedom arms rule.

This gun will also see time in the deer woods.

Why would anyone want to spend $1300 on a revolver only for it to come back one chamber less? What else is included in that price?

How much improvement could I see in rebarreling with a new douglas barrel? Who would do a good job in replacing it?

I could use a contender chambered in 357 max, which I think is the ideal settup for here in Ohio, but I really like the aesthetics of the sixgun. Just because....

Before changing barrels and such you might try lapping the barrel. Is there any sort of barrel-frame constriction?

I know folks who are pulling 3/4" at 25 yds and 3" at 50 yds from Blackhawks - iron sights. Are you looking to do better?

These folks did some lapping and figured out what the gun liked to shoot.

44 is great hunting caliber. Run some nice 260-300 grain stuff at 1000-1200fps. See what the gun likes.

No need to push any harder, it just kills the hands but doesn't help on the other end.

Since you are familiar with silhouette shooters maybe you are already familiar with this.

Jeremiah,

There is also alot of good information over at the forums on Beartooth Bullets website. He sells a "shooting guide" to achieving the greatest accuracy with lead bullets, both out of a revolver and a rifle. Most of it is very simple.

A cheap thing to do to increase accuracy and achieve a higher CDI factor is to install a Belt Mountain base pin. These are oversized a few thousandths and take out any "off axis play" from the cylinder pin fit. Mine dropped right into my Super BlackHawk.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

Ray

Bowen does all sorts of work. They were just talking about the 5-shot conversions that he is famous for (like the .475 Linebaugh and the .45 Colt). He will build a custom sixgun on your frame or you can have something as minor as a trigger job done.

What size groups will make you happy at 50yds.?

Do you shoot mainly cast or jacketed?

The reason I ask is because proper sized cylinder throats (combined with a bullet soft or hard enough for the velocity) are a must if you want the gun to shoot to its potential.

For instance, Ruger refuses to correctly throat their .45 colt sixguns. They do okay with jacketed bullets but need to be opened-up for cast ones to really shoot. You can take a stock Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt and it will shoot well with a good cast load. Then, have the throats properly sized (ususally .4525"), and it should "show off" shoot.

• 2 weeks later...