Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production modification

Birdkiller

Hello,

I've read the rule book on this section, and read a few threads, but haven't found my answer. I know stippling within the boundaries is legal, but is removing the factory texture prior to stippling to make the stipple more even legal? Specific I know, I just don't want to screw up my production gun.

Thanks,

Cole

There is ruling that says grinding down factory texture to apply epoxy & grit is legal, so I would say grinding down factory texture to apply stippling is also legal.

Not true: here is the ruling:

Question:I was wondering if an epoxy treatment filling in the voids of the grip of an XDm would violate section 22.2 of Appendix D4.

Answer:21.4 states: For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling. The procedure offered by the vendor you referred to is nothing more than epoxy (glue) with a grit (same as stippling and therefore legal as it does not change the profile of the grip.

Nowhere does it say grinding down the grip is legal. Only that filling in the voids is legal, and applying grit in the areas described in E4.

There is ruling that says grinding down factory texture to apply epoxy & grit is legal, so I would say grinding down factory texture to apply stippling is also legal.

Question:I was wondering if an epoxy treatment filling in the voids of the grip of an XDm would violate section 22.2 of Appendix D4.

Answer:21.4 states: For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling. The procedure offered by the vendor you referred to is nothing more than epoxy (glue) with a grit (same as stippling and therefore legal as it does not change the profile of the grip.

Nowhere does it say grinding down the grip is legal. Only that filling in the voids is legal, and applying grit in the areas described in E4.

That's my opinion on the ruling as well. There is no removing any material from the grip that I'm aware of

You're right! Thanks for the catch & correction!

So, knocking off the corners of the grenade checkering prior to stippling is going to knock me out of production. Is that what I'm hearing?

Thanks for the replies,

BK

Are you removing material from the grip? If so, then yes, it would knock you out of production.

In all honesty once its stippled it is hard to tell what if anything was removed from the grip unless its extreme ie removing finger groves etc

In all honesty, we're counting on the integrity of all shooters to do the right thing. How many threads have there been about shooters cheating? Doesn't matter how much you cheat, it's still cheating. And once you start down that slippery slope "Well, its just a bit of grinding....Since the didn't notice the grinding, maybe I can remove some metal from the inside of the slide...etc", its damn hard to keep from sliding further.