Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nice Aimpoint Comp paper weights

E Mont

Somewhere along the line, I was of the impression Aimpoint Comp and Comp XD sights were REALLY tough, REALLY reliable, and guarenteed. And if they ever did become disabled they could most likely be serviced, within reason. Such is not necessarily the case and i now have two very nice Aimpoints Comps that are $400+ pieces of worthless scrap. (However, they do seem to work as a very clear 1X monocular!)

The one Aimpoint Comp XD has been mine since Day 1. NEVER abused. Looks NIB. Near perfect glass/coating. Was mounted on a comped 9mm Springfield and used for Steel Challenge-type plinking (i.e. light loads only). The rheostat switch increasingly developed slop (no, it is not the two knob set screws) and it finally ceased to function.

The second Aimpoint Comp had seen moderately more use but appeared fine. Very clean exterior. Near perfect glass. I was working the Shot Show at the time a friend showed up with it and complained of windage/elevation function problems. Thinking all Aimpoints were guarenteed (WRONG), repairable (WRONG), and mistakenly believing they would service their product for a nominal fee, I traded him straight across for one of my new Comp XD's.

So ... I have sent 3 emails to Aimpoint inquiring about how to proceed. No reply (to any of them).

Next I send them both to Aimpoint for est. repair cost - and I get back a VERY brief note 'they are beyond repair'.

Interesting. They build them but they cannot replace a simple switch. They build them but they cannot re-establish windage/elevation function.

Does anyone out there know of an independent Aimpoint repair station? ... like the fellas that used to redo/beef-up the old PDP3 sights?

~ one disheartened former Aimpoint supporter

Had the same expectations and disappointments w/ my Micro

Never got a reply from Aimpoint USA, but got one from Sweden.

Sweden replaced it but after a few hundred rounds the dot went out right in the middle of a match run.

Sweden replaced it again but now Im afraid to use it. :(

Oooo. Oooo. Great tip! I never thought about that! I can bypass the slugs at Aimpoint USA and try to contact Sweden! Muchas gracias! I really do like using them more than my C-more, but would never - ever - give them another 'purchase' penny.

Does the rest of the shooting world know this and I am just late to the dance? ... and here I was, selling Aimpoints at the Shot Show. How embarrassing.

(I still find this hard to believe. Aimpoint USA seriously replies that my near pristine Aimpoint is irrepariable when the only visible flaw is a floppy control knob. I have long held the opinion many businesses thrive only because they have been awarded gov't contracts. Do this fit the Aimpoint profile? Who did they **** to get that contract?)

Seriously?

Dude, it's 2013. The Aimpoint Comp & Comp XD has been discontinued since 1999 & 2001 respectively.

The original waranty IIRC was 2/10. 2 years for competition equipment & Mil/Police use & 10 for personal use.

Remind me to write a scathing internet jab that I can't get factory service for my 1978 Camero tape deck.

Oh, additionally, the AP models that have been awarded world wide military & Law enforcement contracts aren't the models you're commenting on.

There were AP Comp purchases by a handful of units & they experienced a Level3 like failure rate. The information & feedback from those units helped AP produce the hardened optics that later won the contracts you reference.

I've seen a fair bit of internet anti - AP rants from people in competition circles who rant about how crappy AP products are ad nausium. It's far & few between after you see the facts laid out to find that the products they're complaining about are either new (not worn out surplussed optics) or from the same product line the MIL/LEO units choose from.

My $.02

I have thought about this post for a week now and hopefully this won't sound like a rant but here goes.

I have shot an Aimpoint starting with the 5000 on a single stack open gun and have NEVER shot a different brand sight in USPSA competition. Shooting the old Aimpoints is kind of my trademark locally. The pistol in my pic is a 1993 Caspian Hi Cap that started with a 5000 on it using a modified battery cap by Dick Heinie to hold an extra battery. Dot briteness was the biggest issue on these scopes. This scope lasted about 3 years and Aimpoint came out with the shorter Comp model. They had an upgrade program at the time and I upgraded to this scope in pretty blue and switched to a modified Red Buff scope mount. I bought a rescomp battery cap later in this scopes life and this scope lasted until early sometime in 2009 when the diode went out. I knew the extra battery would eventually kill the diode. Sent it back to Aimpoint and in about 2 months got the scope back with the unrepairable note. Called to discuss options and they were only interested in selling their new Micro $600.00 scope with only a 4moa dot. I was used to shooting a 10 moa dot. I expresed my concern about the dot size more than the cost and mounting issues. I was told B. J. Norris was doing great with the 4moa and I replie that B. J. had 22 year old eyes and I had 52 year old eyes......If they would have had a 7 or 10 moa dot I probably would have paid the 600.00 and got a new mount for the gun. I got lucky and on another forum found a pretty blue comp XD model in 10moa and gladly paid $225.00 for it. This dude was bright and looked brand new and the batteries seemed to last forever. I shot the 2010 nationals with this scope. In late 2011 I was having intermittent dot issues per a conversation with John sent the scope back. Got the scope back in 2 weeks unrepairable. I told John I would gladly pay to have this scope fixed.. No go. Aimpoint Micro the only option. I again got lucky and found a silver Comp C SM with a 7moa dot and paid?? You guessed it! $225.00. This scope is a little heavier a little heavier and not as clean as the other scopes but is working fine and the thing looks bullet proof... But my pretty blue XD is still in the box waiting for me to find a hero to fix it. If aimpoint called today and said send us $300.00 and we will fix the blue XD I would reply XD and check are in the mail!

IMO Aimpoint has their hands full with the Military Contract and really couldn't care less about the the sporting part. If they cared they would consider putting a larger dot in one of there current models.

It kills me to say this as like I said shooting the Aimpoint is my trademark and I would have gladly PAID to have these scopes repaired. I have never saw a C-More that I liked better, but, it the Comp C SM goes out and I can't find another one real quick.. There will be a C-More Serendipity on the gun..

Marty Geringer

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Oh, additionally, the AP models that have been awarded world wide military & Law enforcement contracts aren't the models you're commenting on.

There were AP Comp purchases by a handful of units & they experienced a Level3 like failure rate. The information & feedback from those units helped AP produce the hardened optics that later won the contracts you reference.

I've seen a fair bit of internet anti - AP rants from people in competition circles who rant about how crappy AP products are ad nausium. It's far & few between after you see the facts laid out to find that the products they're complaining about are either new (not worn out surplussed optics) or from the same product line the MIL/LEO units choose from.

My $.02

Just curious, Have you ever shot the open division or owned an Aimpoint?

Marty

A-7424

I had a totally different experience with Aimpoint. A few years ago I sent them a Comp XD that I got with a well worn Open gun. the rear lens had some scratches on it and it suffered from the floppy on/off dot. Sent them the scope with a nice letter and a few weeks later got a repaired scope back no charge.

have an Aimpoint Comp ML on my work rifle. hopefully if it goes tits up they'll fix it no questions asked like my old scope.

I don't shoot open other than a handful of local matches with my carry gun that had a slide mounted reddot and a light.

I have 2 guns left that wear slide mounted RMRs. I carried one daily for about a year before I started moving my RMRs clearing up cash waiting for the improved/hardened models to start hitting the hands of mere mortals. in the past few weeks I understand they have started trickling out so I will probably get back on that horse after summer.

I haven't carried the RMRd gun for 10 months or so.

I do own a couple Aimpoints, most are T1s but I have a couple H1s and a couple older CompM's. I have extensive experience with them and other brands of duty quality models from other manufacturers.

I had a totally different experience with Aimpoint. A few years ago I sent them a Comp XD that I got with a well worn Open gun. the rear lens had some scratches on it and it suffered from the floppy on/off dot. Sent them the scope with a nice letter and a few weeks later got a repaired scope back no charge.

have an Aimpoint Comp ML on my work rifle. hopefully if it goes tits up they'll fix it no questions asked like my old scope.

My understanding is that they supported repair on the XD for 10 years after it was discontinued, after that no go. I would guess you got in under the wire.

Blaster, What size of dot is in the Comp XD and would you consider selling it?

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00