Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rotary 1050 drive

jmorris

We received a few of them from Craig a while back and just got started playing with them.

First thing s to strip the 1050 down to pretty much bare frame.

The front and back have to be milled so the eccentric can clear, the rear section also has to be removed. The bottom of the ram also has to be shaped to clear the housing but I'll have to take photos of that before final assembly.

Its designed to use a PW autodrive mount but thats $800 for less than $100 of ebay motor and steel. Not to mention they are single phase and set at what speed you order. We are using 3 phase motors with VFD's so you can dial it to any speed you wish.

post-6631-0-44832200-1371693219_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-53672100-1371693259_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-39244000-1371693287_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-67160100-1371693345_thumb.jp

Well, got the first one running today and learned a little more.

Looks like it essentially turns a super 1050 into an RL1050, so .308 and up is a no go. Will likely only convert my small primer 1050 to this system.

post-6631-0-40050400-1372299179_thumb.jp

Biggest problem is getting the throw exactly right. It always ended up a fraction too long or too short and I got frustrated. It is a pretty expensive paper weight right now.

Well too short isn't a deal breaker with the 1050. Everything happens on the down stroke, all you have to do on the up stroke is reset the powder measure and index the shell plate.

Send me a PM if you are interested in getting rid of it.

same with rotary,powder problems seem to occur if you change the ratio from 1 to1 to a smaller loader sprocket which speeds the loader up,it seems to need

a certain amount of dwell time for the powder to drop.i slowed mine down and the amo is very consistent now .still having primer feed issues,i believe it is from

not deprimeing consistently ,or pulling spent primer back up into shell if the old primer does not fall from deprimeing pin.

For best results you MUST run processed brass in this or any processed machine.

If you are loading 9mm you MUST hand sort the brass to get the .380 out of the brass. If you re using a bullet feeder the .380 case will tip in the powder station and then go sideways into the bullet feeder die.

You need to set the slip clutch as light as you can.

After all this you also need to keep you eyes on it at all times.

Good luck!

Doug

a certain amount of dwell time for the powder to drop.i slowed mine down and the amo is very consistent now

I loaded at a higher rate manually than my driven one loads. Have never had any problems but I don't use powders prone to bridging.

For best results you MUST run processed brass in this or any processed machine.

If you are loading 9mm you MUST hand sort the brass to get the .380 out of the brass. If you re using a bullet feeder the .380 case will tip in the powder station and then go sideways into the bullet feeder die.

I long ago built a machine that sorts my brass, hand sorting brass is worse than having to pull the handle by a fair margin.

I do, remove the powder measure and powder check arbor and run a bucked through first so I am loading processed brass. Not much work involved, just fill it up and let it run them through.

Edited by jmorris

Not exactly sure what Cooper payed for the motor above, I picked up a 1/4hp 57 rpm Baldor off of Craig'slist for $40

VFD ($99) Google "GS1 VFD" will be the first two hits.

We got 3 of the "kits" minus the motor, mount, control box and modifications to the frame for not much more than one completed conversion from, http://www.forchtfirearms.com/dillondoc.html.

Edited by jmorris

I know, it might look like I am neglecting that koozi but I have friends that will vouch for me that I don't.

Ctay, what have you not gotten figured out?

Trust me, there is no koozi abuse going on in this shop, all koozis are treated like family with great respect... :mellow:

PW makes a kit for the 650. I have had a few that run quite well for many years but not quite well enough for me to spend the time automating them.

The lack of dowels running through the shell plate to locate it precisely, lack of down stroke priming and no primer pocket swage would be the first 3 things on my list of why not to waist the time.

The 650 is a nice machine, it's just not a nice enough machine.

Edited by jmorris