Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about buying an older open gun

brnhp35

Have seen a older open gun for sale that I can get cheaply. It is a 38 super sti frame caspian top end 5" gun. The downsides I can see are the sight which is a aimpoint comp tube sight and no slide racker. Dont know history of gun due to where it is for sale but all the ususal places look are clean and no noticeable wear. only has one 126mm mag (another downside).....

Guess I forgot to make this a question....I have never shot open with a open gun ..got my classsifier with limited gun. Just looking for some opinions on whether this is worthwhile or not. I think that will addition of some mags could shoot this as is and gradually work it up to close to current standards.

Edited by brnhp35

If it runs reliably, has decent accuracy, then its a matter of price. If its cheap enough, it might be the perfect starter gun (and later can be used as a backup gun). You indicated you are willing to shoot it as is and update as needed to be competitive. That will work but may turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

My main concern with an older gun would be round count. As long as they were not abused or show any cracks, the STI frame and Caspian slide are good parts. Look at the breach face on the slide to check for unusual corrosion or pitting near the firing pin hole. If the slide to frame fit is a little loose, a trip to the gunsmith may be in its future.

The older comp may be just fine for now or it could be an older design that is just not as efficient as modern comps. If the round count is up there, it may be time for a new barrel.

Possibly your first upgrade will be to the "dot'. As long as the Aimpoint is mounted to the dust cover, it will be a simple (just not cheap) change out. (Note: if its an old "Red Buff" scope mount, you are looking at a little more gunsmithing to change to a C-More, but those are fairly rare).

Small parts like hammers, disconnectors, sears and springs are fairly inexpensive and could be considered expendibles. Sooner or later you will need to change some of these out.

Like someone mentioned earlier in the forum, the 2011 format is the small block Chevy of the shooting world. Just about anything "wrong" with this gun can be fixed. All it will take is the desire and ability to shell out the dollars.

Hope this helps and makes sense. If not, what the heck. Its almost 2 AM.

Bill

yeah i am a late nighter at work..doing a double tonight ....today ...not sure lost track...eh ...have been shooting revolvers almost exclusively for about a year so 6 to 28 may be a big jump..every thing felt tight where it should and didnt see anything amiss in locking lugs or breechface or comp port corrosion i assume this was someones older gun they kept for backup till got rid of it but just doesnt show that many signs of wear that i can tell.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Even though my price isn't even half what a full custom open gun costs its still nerve racking trying to decide whether or not a used open gun is up to snuff. There's alot to check.

Good luck with your purchase OP.

unfortunately in my scenario I dont have a lot of access to the gun before purchase. The temptation comes in that it is 1/4 to 1/3 what a stock sti open gun would cost so even if takes some tuning and parts replacements i am into it less than a short block kit.

Be sure to check the frame rails as well. I bought an old one on a Tripp frame and ended up needing a slide shortly after purchase. Measured out the rails and they were wavy as the ocean. No reputable smooth would touch it. Ended up fitting a slide myself and less than 1k rounds later turned in to a rattle trap and accuracy suffered. Getting to tear down completely and inspect every thing is the only way I would buy a used one again. Save for a reputable person on here. Good deals come along here and so far nobody is a used car or timeshare sales man. Other boards and gunbroker watch out though....

unfortunately in my scenario I dont have a lot of access to the gun before purchase. The temptation comes in that it is 1/4 to 1/3 what a stock sti open gun would cost so even if takes some tuning and parts replacements i am into it less than a short block kit.

Cheaper than a short block kit? Unless the slide or frame is damaged beyond repair, its sounds like something I would not pass up.

I have an old Open gun built by EGW. Its in 9 x 23 caliber and has an STI frame and Caspian slide. No issues with slide to rail fit. I did re-barrel @ about 65,000 rounds and shortened the comp as I was using it as a steel gun. Its carrying its original C-More sight with integral mount. I would guess the gun is worth about $1200. If the gun you are looking at is about that price, I'd buy it.

OP just do what I did. Sell one of your other toys and buy a new one. LOL :) I was going to buy used, then things went haywire and the deal fell through (my fault not the sellers, he had his stuff together unlike me), then the issue not only fixed itself but the opportunity to buy new presented itself and I jumped on it. I'm pretty happy with my decision. If you are buying used check the classifieds here. Seems there are always super nice guns for sale on there. Good luck!!!

Have seen a older open gun for sale that I can get cheaply. It is a 38 super sti frame caspian top end 5" gun. The downsides I can see are the sight which is a aimpoint comp tube sight and no slide racker. Dont know history of gun due to where it is for sale but all the ususal places look are clean and no noticeable wear. only has one 126mm mag (another downside).....

Guess I forgot to make this a question....I have never shot open with a open gun ..got my classsifier with limited gun. Just looking for some opinions on whether this is worthwhile or not. I think that will addition of some mags could shoot this as is and gradually work it up to close to current standards.

Depending on which Aimpoint it is, I would like an opportunity to make an offer on it, if you are contemplating switching to a C-more.

Marty

A-7424

the plan was to shoot it as is and eventually switch to cmore...if i didnt fall in love with aimpoint....hunted up the correct battery and swung by earlier today to make sure it worked and between myself and salesman (and a pair of pliers gently used) we could not get the battery cap off...upon closer inspection there appears to be the slightest bit of corrosion visible from the outside...the sight may be a wash ...by the way it is a aimpoint comp (no further designation) appears to be one of the very early aimpoints designed for use on pistols. Did find it on thier website under disconntinued models...still pondering the gun ..will probably still go for it

I get beat all the time by a guy shooting a toob gun, Aim Point, infact my first Open gun $600 had a Tasco pro point. From my obversvations the toob shooters are more accurate and they never complain about not finding the dot, but they don't get thier pictures in Hip Magazine. If your thinking none of the Big Dawg Daddy's run a toob then think again, BJ Norris, runs an Aim Point. So while the Aim Point isn't as popular it may be a + in your case especially being new to open.

Slide Racker, useless fashion accessory, except on guns that don't run.

Used open guns, I've bought 7 over the past few years (4), the least expensive I still have, $1200, STI Briley updated, the most expensive I also still have $1650 STI Competitior, and I had a new gun built and with Tripp Hard Crome it costs $2500. I left out the $600 toob gun it was a 40 cal Silver Team, I let it go since the big mags and it came with 7 held 15, although to this day it was the best gun on a TX Star, that toob.

Of the 7 the last one I bought from a friend was an SVI, with all the bells and whistles, carbon fiber this, slide racker with detent, tooless guide rod, it was a center fold for Hip Magazine. It had one major issue so I picked it up cheap, it didn't run, but then none of his guns run. The slide was lose, I mean shake and rattle lose, so I sent it off to Doug and got it Acc-U-Railed, the C-more was cracked sent that to C-more for a new frame, the comp was cracked, replaced it. Never did shoot it but sold it made a few bucks and got beat by that gun. $1300 in sold for $2000.

Caspians ususally sell for a lot less than STI/SVI so I'd say your gun with no mags, and no accessories is no deal unless it is in the $1000 price range. I've missed a couple good deals on Caspians, I want to try one to see if the extra weight in the handle helps, otherwise the guns are essentially the same, with the mags being a bit harder to get and more expensive.

Old comps work pretty good with old loads, 175pf, just look for a powder that gets you up to 10gr+ for a load, like N105, AA#7, 4756 etc.

Edited by CocoBolo

appriate the heads up ..was looking forward to the tube but may be a no go on that sight at afraid the old battery may have corroded some of the important bits...I have let some caspians pass as well mostly due to magazine issues. this one is only caspian slide on a sti lower so not as much of an issue .....appriate the heads up on the powders..