Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure....

Here I was this week, feverishly trying to load up some brand new, super Mousyfarty steel loads when I notice when checking my powder drops from the measure(Dillon on 1050) when I notice that some were over 2.0gr light. Try 10 in a row, same deal, some right on, some not.

I then tore down the Measure and Lo and Behold, a chunk of crapola was wedged in between the plates that run the powder bar. Who knows how long this sucker has been in there. The Measure was new over the winter and this crapola might explain why I had three almost squibs at a match last weekend with loads I loaded in February. I also had a bunch of light charge loads with CLAYS that ended up being squibs as well. Big flakes hitting big chunk of crap equals not much powder.

My moral of this story, if you are loading a lot of ammo, you might want to check your powder measure from time to time. I know that a lot of us are anal retentive when it comes to Reloading( but some of us are not! and you know who you are! ;) )

Guest Larry Cazes

Yup, i have had my 550B out in my dirty garage for 2+ years and have NEVER cleaned the measure. I have also NEVER had a problem with it throwing bad charges. Clays does not meter very well from my dillon measure so I don't use it any more.

You know the foam plastic seal that must be peeled from the top of a new powder jug? Make sure you get every last piece of it. Do NOT let any fragments get into the powder. You won't find it all until each piece gets caught in your powder measure.

:wacko: