Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QLS belt attachment production legal?

kujo929

Trying to determine if mounting a ready tactical holster to a QLS so it will drop on my safariland ELS belt would be legal for production division. I know it probably wouldn't matter at club match but I'm heading to area 5 in the morning. Thanks

post-5468-137114215519_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Ill measure it. Looks like I may be using my 3 gun ALS holster. But I guess I better measure that one also. I rarely shoot production so I usually have nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys. Ill measure it. Looks like I may be using my 3 gun ALS holster. But I guess I better measure that one also. I rarely shoot production so I usually have nothing to worry about.

Just to be clear, the 2" limit is for all USPSA handgun divisions...

Later,

Chuck

The two inch rule applies in all pistol divisions....

Yes you were right. Even the ALS holster is spaced too far. Wish I would have known that before dropping all the money for the ELS belt setup. Kind of defeats the purpose of being modular when locked into one holster.

Any chance this will be a rule that will be updated?

Nope. Even using the thinnest attachment like the one I have for the safariland ALS holster it is too thick. Unless there is a thinner attachment sold somewhere but I don't see how. This one is pancaked together with no extra space. Looks like I will eventually have to strip all the attachments, flip the belt upside down and backwards and set it so I can pull a holster off and on the one end. Still wont be modular but will be usable I guess.

I've actually kicked this one around with an RMI. I'm not sure what purpose this really serves. Assuming we kept the language about the holster being attached to the belt and the gun being above the belt, or frontstrap for SS, is there any potential downside to eliminating it? I don't really know why this rule came about or what purpose it serves. Kind of falls into the category of a useless rule in my view. Holsters will get further away from the belt (maybe) but does it negatively effect anything?

I've actually kicked this one around with an RMI. I'm not sure what purpose this really serves. Assuming we kept the language about the holster being attached to the belt and the gun being above the belt, or frontstrap for SS, is there any potential downside to eliminating it? I don't really know why this rule came about or what purpose it serves. Kind of falls into the category of a useless rule in my view. Holsters will get further away from the belt (maybe) but does it negatively effect anything?

Its probably a hold over from our "Practical" roots, I don't think it would make much difference if it were eliminated, I know its not a rule we are going out of our way to enforce, as its only looked at if there is a obvious violation. I would bet that if you actually measured every holster on every belt at a major there would be more than a few playing for no score (as its the same rule for open so they cant move there) if there was any resistance to eliminating it, I think making the "race gun" divisions free of the restriction would be good compromise (at least there would be a place to get moved to)

Mike

In the picture it looks like you have the belt loop adapter and the QLS. Why not mount the QLS adapter directly to the belt?

I may try that. I will have to try to rig something up though because the system appears made to use a loop or other attachment so you can get a solid mount.

Well I took mine but didnt use it as it was my first area level match and didnt want an equipment issue to make a scene. I ran into a guy in the squad ahead of me using the exact same setup. I asked him if he had ever been questioned on it and he just said to look at some of the fat guys. There guns were alot father off the belt than the QLS moves it. And he was definitely right. Even some of the race holsters attached directly to a belt had more standoff than the QLS.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I got a DOH for my X5 Allround, and with the weight of the gun, it measured 2.25" from the belt with the gun in it. This was may solution, and I'm at ~1 3/4" now:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDMwLTAwMjU2LmpwZw_zps