Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Spring loaded Safetys for 1911,2011

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, and made a longer plunger pin and used a heavier spring. Takes 20 minutes.

It was a neat security feature, just had to retrain to HOLD safety down. I'm sure someone will come along and produce it for the masses.

Sorry guys I have dropped the ball on this project just cant make the time right now and have matches getting in the way.

Want2race thanks for stepping up! Can you please IM of what you sent to billdozer with the details of your set up? Sounds like you have the answer!!!

Thanks

I really think this will take off with the 3 gun crowd. I never really liked all the high speed dropping of the mag and racking the slide idea as I think this could get you in trouble also. What I meant by trouble is maybe a round didn't come out and you snapped the trigger as habit while dumping the gun in a bucket (bang) not good. The other issue the spring loaded safety will fix is the throwing of the gun in the bucket and bumping the saftey off (time to go home) not good either.

I would love to get to the point where I ground my spring loaded safety pistol like a Glock or M&P and not worry when I come back to show clear at the end of a stage!

Plunger tube is normal. I cut the bump off the safety that gives it two positions. I adjust the spring tension by changing the angle and changing the sear pin length. I have a picture of the back side of the safety.

• 4 weeks later...

Plunger tube is normal. I cut the bump off the safety that gives it two positions. I adjust the spring tension by changing the angle and changing the sear pin length. I have a picture of the back side of the safety.

This is extremely interesting and I plan on "fixing" the 2011 I use for 3 Gun. Why is the length of the sear pin changed? Any chance I could get a copy of the picture of the back side of the safety?

Thanks.

Bill

A sear pin is used to replace the rear plunger pin. They are the same diameter. Some material is removed from the safety, a longer detent pin is needed to maintain spring pressure. The picture I have is too big to post. I'll see if I can fix that.

This was done to an old Colt safety. Longer pin maintains strong spring tension. It's that easy.

I modified the safety like in the picture. Need to track down a sear pin to modify it. Even with the stock safety plunger it works great.

Thank you for the picture. Best 3 gun modification I've made this season.

Bill