Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are there any rules or guidelines for people videoing ?

ProGunGuy

OK, no actual rules but here is some advice. If you are not in the squad, tread lightly and ask the RO if it's ok. If you are in the squad , tread lightly and ask the RO. That's if you want or are asked to follow shooter. Videoing from in back of the ropes is ok. It's ok to video anyone, but I don't post videos of professional shooters like Dave Sevigny, Jessie Duff, Todd Jarrett, Travis Tomassie, Blind Blake, etc. I may send them to them via email if they want, but it is a courtesy because they are sponsored, usually have someone videoing them already and it is the right thing to do. There are also sight lines that you want to avoid because there are always professional photographers around, like Yamil, Ichi, Scott, etc. Be courteous, stay out of the shooter's, RO's and family's way and you will be fine.

If you want to video your buddy shooting a stage, that's great. As a RO, I would like to know about it before I start the shooter. If all of a sudden I catch you in my peripheral vision, coming up on us, I may stop the shooter. Bad news for him. Re-Shoot. Bad news for you. In the least, a chewing out. In the worst, in you're a competitor, a DQ. 10.6.1 10.6.2

If I'm running the clipboard, don't get between me & the RO. I have things to watch for, and can't be distracted by someone videoing.

Don't climb a berm to get that great shot. (I've seen this happen). If you want to put a remote cam down range, ask first. Remember, if you do this you're taking a chance that your friend will not hit it with a round, or splatter.

The rules are whatever the RO/CRO/RM says they are, and they're likely to change from stage to stage, based on the particular concerns of that stage....

There's some decent guidance above -- I'll add: Don't get tunnel vision -- if the competitor suddenly starts backing up, you need to be aware enough to get out of the way, to avoid interfering with his run/the match officials running the stage. Also be alert to hand signals from the stage staff -- I won't give you verbal commands, to avoid distracting the shooter.

Good advice above, so I will just add a few more...

If you are videoing anyone that has not asked you, be courteous and ask them well before they shoot, like at least 3 or 4 shooters before they are up. If they say no, walk away and don't film.

I will also restate...stay OFF the berms and behind the ROs. If I am working a stage, I am fine with those who have asked me, to go set up a camera downrange and or get a little closer, especially if they are filming on behalf of the shooter or a pro photographer that I know has range experience. I usually won't allow a preset camera on the ground within the shooting area though. I have also asked photographers to leave who have encroached too far or when a shooter has asked me to ask them to leave prior to a run.

Are there an rules or guidelines to where people videoing can stand or follow while videoing a shooter?

stay the hell out of the way?

I had a gig a few years ago as a part time sports photographer shooting baseball and basketball. While all the advice above is good, Sarge summed it up the best. If you film/photograph properly, the shooters and RO won't even be aware of your presence.

Are there an rules or guidelines to where people videoing can stand or follow while videoing a shooter?

stay the hell out of the way?

I had a gig a few years ago as a part time sports photographer shooting baseball and basketball. While all the advice above is good, Sarge summed it up the best. If you film/photograph properly, the shooters and RO won't even be aware of your presence.

Good point. Seems like some are referencing pro shooters etc. From what I have seen from locals to area matches are family members who usually stay back with the other shooters. The others are usually closer yet not so close that I even notice them while running a shooter. I know they are there somewhere but they rarely get in the way.

We have many shooters locally who video. One range has designated a "no video" squad for folks sensitive to such things. No risk of getting caught in the background of a video of someone else.