Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 40 4.5" cracked slide...can it be repaired?

JGus

I bought an XDm 40 4.5" slide off a forum member recently. The rear fixed sights had been replaced by a prior owner with adjustable sights. The slide had been repainted in some cheap high gloss paint (looked like spray paint) and the slide was in pretty rough shape. So, I decided to strip off the old paint and have it recoated (cerakote or duracote).

As I was stripping off the old paint, I discovered this crack in the slide on the right hand side of the slide by where the rear sight had been machined into the slide (see attached picture). It was covered by the bad paint job.

Can this be repaired? And if so, what would be the best way to repair it? Or am I just out of luck?

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/runningsaluki13/xdmcrackedslide_zpsd698cb74.jpeg

Edited by JGus

While most any crack can be repaired it usually comes down to cost over what a new slide would cost. From what I can see in the photo this is a fairly complex crack to repair and would guess well over two hours work to do it properly. And that would be before the cost of refinishing.

Maybe someone here has a better idea but I am thinking new slide. Sorry for the bad news and the bad deal you got on the slide.

Edited by Zoomy

You can always try calling Springfield. Not sure if they would do anyhing under the circumstances,but it never hurts to ask. Had the original owner done called them instead of trying to hide it with paint I'm sure they would fixed it.

It doesn't look like a structural crack, so if you are going to CeraKote it (I would skip Duracoat if you want it to wear well) then there are several low tech ways to fill it, ie. body filler. If it is worse than it looks in the photo, it could take a little skill. I won't be cost effective to have SA replace the slide and then re-machine the sight cut.

That is in the area of the oiginal dovetail cut, for a Bo-mar install it is welded up to fill in that dovetail. It appears to be a weld under cut, a very easy fix.

Rich

Thanks for the replies. Since it's not a structural crack, does that mean it's not a total loss? What would you guys recommend to fix/fill it?

If you are not going to do the finishing yourself, I would suggest letting the finisher take care of it unless you are good with a tig welder. IE. If you sent it to us for Cerakote, we would clean and blast it, which would remove any non welding fix.

• 1 month later...

Find a local welder who is good with TIG. Have them run a fine bead or fusion weld it (no filler rod). Then file it down, polish, and refinish it.

SP is right and it is not structural, so deap penetration is not needed on the weld. Just make sure it is as clean as you can make it before you hand it over to the welder. Heck if you were in the NW I would do it for beer!

If someone sold me a cracked slide after hiding the crack I would not be the one getting it fixed. If someone sold you something that broke a week later yes but that was fraud or theft by deception period. I hate that it happened on this forum because I had always felt that this was a community and stuff like this didn't happen on here.

Yep, I thought the slide was cracked. By looking at the original pictures it sure looked cracked to me.

However, I mailed the slide down the road to Rich at Canyon Creek (his shop is about 2 hours from me).

He looked it over and put his touches on the area where I thought it was cracked. Here is a "before" and "after" pic of the area after Rich worked on it. Rich did a great job on the slide. The slide looks perfect, no mark of any kind that looks like a crack or any type of weld marks.

Before:

xdmslidecracked_zps2281c9f1.jpeg

After:

xdmsliderepaired_zps23ddf056.jpeg

Edited by JGus