Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this much varience in oal normal?

Mliebs

I just received an order of bullets and they seem to vary quite a bit. They go from .568 to .585, it may even be more but I only checked about 30 out of 2000. These are .40 180g plated bullets. Looking at the bullets straight on you can see that the nose length is different, some are wide some are more narrow.

post-47561-0-92327500-1369949854_thumb.j

post-47561-0-91137700-1369949865_thumb.j

Only real problem I can see - other than decreased accuracy - is that if they are all seated to the same C.O. A. L, with different length bullets it will vary the available case capacity. Shouldn't make any real difference unless you are loading real hot.

I'm not going to say who manufactured the bullets because I've already talked to them. I'm sure this is due to the supply demands. I'll definately be looking at everything that comes in a little closer though.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't say who made them? But kinda thought that is what we loaders do is look out for and help each other..guess I'm wrong! Would have been nice to share that info with others that are new and reloading a bit on the warm end of the load and didn't notice.. might even save a life or limb by sharing..

I'm new to this forum and don't want to be accused of being a troll or coming on here and complaining about a manufacturer.
When I opened the box is was pretty obvious the bullets were not the same. If I found one or two in the box it would be different, but it was almost 50/50. I would hope anyone that reloads would at the very least take a couple of random measurements on new bullets before using them.

no problem I was just thinking of the guy who just started reloading in this time of need.

and yes I think you brought up another good point with today's manufacturers trying to speed up process to keep up with demand some errors are bound to be made so we should all probably be checking a little more than we used to

Edited by usmc90