Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD striker retention pin

XDman

How easy is it to replace an XD striker retention pin? The one in my gun seems to have cracked into 2 pieces with one half starting to work its way out of the top of the slide.

Where can I get the part?

Fortunately we had a seconf XD along at the Ohio Champs to use before the pin fell all the way out.

This is a common problem. It's extremely easy to fix. I just replaced one on my XDm. There are some videos you can watch on youtube that show you how. If you have a punch set it will take you five minutes.

I ordered mine from Pistol Gear. I think it was $2 and a much stronger tolerance than the factory pin.

Edited by JGus

Powder River Precision has an upgraded pin you can buy that shouldn't break again, but they sell three at a time. You can also get the overpriced punches from them and a pretty decent trigger upgrade while you're at it.

Very common issue. Powder River makes an excellent replacement pin that you'll probably never have to replace. You'll need a punch set, one punch in particular, but I can't remember what it's called. Springer has a nice set that includes a punch for the striker retaining pin. It can be a bugger, and a bit frustrating the 1st go at replacing the pin, but with practice it gets a lot easier. Too much for me to explain in writing, but Springfield Armory and few other aftermarket companies have schematics posted online, and there are some good videos on Youtube. Whatever you do, don't buy another factory pin; it'll just break again, and they are very hard to install. When replacing the pin you may want to use the opportunity to go ahead and replace the striker spring, and striker rebound spring; although they probably don't need to be replaced, especially if the gun is fairly new.

Edit: I misspoke before when I said it can be a bugger to replace the pin. The Powder River pin is easy, it's the factory pin that can be very difficult. I made the mistake of buying and trying to install new factory pins the 1st go around. I destroyed 2 or 3 new pins trying to install them.

Edited by grapemeister

I'll look in my stash of parts, but I believe it's a metric roll pin that is something like 3mmx16mm or something like that. Make sure you hit it from bottom to top of slide. The hole is tapered so if you try to punch it from top down, you could cause some damage to slide.

It is 3mmx16mm for sure and I got mine from Fastenal. No one in Hawaii had any. I had to special order and have a bag of about 50. I'll give send you a couple if you want. Just pm me yor address.

One last thing: its a pain to install te new roll pins, so I would try to smash it just a little in a vise. Also if you can get the correct roll pin punch(with the locator at the end) it makes the install that much easier.

It is 3mmx16mm for sure and I got mine from Fastenal. No one in Hawaii had any. I had to special order and have a bag of about 50. I'll give send you a couple if you want. Just pm me yor address.

One last thing: its a pain to install te new roll pins, so I would try to smash it just a little in a vise. Also if you can get the correct roll pin punch(with the locator at the end) it makes the install that much easier.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=140&categoryId=12 This will make installation of a new pin a LOT easier.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=140&categoryId=12 This will make installation of a new pin a LOT easier.

Don't forget this one too! http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=117&categoryId=12

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up both punches and some pins from Springer. Probably getting near the 4k mark with my .40 5.25 and heading to Limited Nationals in a few months. Figure I'll head off a bad situation with a little prevention.

Just my opinion, try to fit one or two before you go to nationals, especially if you got the factory style roll pins. Or better yet, install a new one and keep your original as a spare. It may more of a task to get the new one in with the limited tools you may have at the nationals