Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Crimp adjustment?

I have been loading 9mm luger and have experiecned some bullet setback when I push a completed round against the bench. After examination and measurement I determined that the rounds may not have enough neck tension due to over-crimping.

The Sami spec for 9mm luger crimp is .380" and mine were about .375". I have losened what I think is the crimp adjustment on station 4 quite a bit and still only seem to be able to get .3785". That has helped significantly with increasing neck tension.

My question is can the crimp be agjusted and is that the correct way to adjust the crimp on my 9mm crimp die on my SDB?

I am using Win sorted range brass and Berry's .356" plated bullets.

Thanks

OG03

Edited by Oldgoat03

Youngeyes

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with how to adjust crimp on traditional dies such as Lee, RCBS, even Dillon (other than SDB).

My question is how to adjust crimp (flare reduction) on a Square Deal B.

I have tried screwing what appears to be the station 4 adjuster in and out with very little change to the crimp. The amount of turns is isn't changing the finished crimp nearly as much as it would with my other standard dies.

I hope this is more clear.

Thanks again.

OG03

It should be pretty straight forward, in or out to increase or decrease crimp. Back it all the way out to a point that it does not touch the case and start driving it down to get you desired crimp measurement. I never had an issue setting up crimp on the two SDBs that I owned.

Yep, very simple. Down (clockwise) for more crimp, up (counter clockwise) for less crimp.

A full turn on the die SHOULD result in a very signifigant change in 9mm crimp. If moving the die in or out is not changing your crimp, there is something wrong.

Also, are you sure your measuring the crimp correctly? I'm sure you are, just exploring possible causes.

Youngeyes

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with how to adjust crimp on traditional dies such as Lee, RCBS, even Dillon (other than SDB).

My question is how to adjust crimp (flare reduction) on a Square Deal B.

I have tried screwing what appears to be the station 4 adjuster in and out with very little change to the crimp. The amount of turns is isn't changing the finished crimp nearly as much as it would with my other standard dies.

I hope this is more clear.

Thanks again.

OG03

I referenced this post because it contained a forum member who has adjusted his SDB for crimp. YMMV