Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

when to replace recoil springs?

bthoefer

How can you tell when a recoil spring needs to be replaced? I've been feeling like my gun feels more bouncy recently and the front sight is dropping low as the gun returns to target (could just be me) and the recoil spring is about a year old.

I'll change it out and order a new spare but it got me thinking (dangerous sometimes).

every 3-5k rounds or when you start having function problems. to me springs are consumable parts with a finite life such as tires on a car. I change recoil springs in my Limited gun a minimum of 1x a year or before every major match. cheap insurance.

I think it depends on the gun and the spring your using. If your running lighter springs change them more often than heavy ones as the heavier ones while lightening up some still have enough to work the gun. This isn't always the case with light ones

• 1 month later...

Bthoefer,

A simple measure that I've heard and read about is to change out your recoil spring when its length has become 3 coils less than the length of an unused recoil spring. It's always worked for me and others that I know of that use this as a criteria for replacement.

RH

• 3 weeks later...