Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Kimber CCW trigger

tohm

This may be a little off from the competition side but i bought a Kimber Raptor II and wish to get a trigger job done and am concerned over spending the money with the factory parts so i was thinking of the EGW Ignition kit or buying Wilson parts before I put the money in the labor. Any thoughts or recommendations? Yes, I should have paid once and cried once, however now i would like to make the best of what i have.

This may be a little off from the competition side but i bought a Kimber Raptor II and wish to get a trigger job done and am concerned over spending the money with the factory parts so i was thinking of the EGW Ignition kit or buying Wilson parts before I put the money in the labor. Any thoughts or recommendations? Yes, I should have paid once and cried once, however now i would like to make the best of what i have.

Are you going to do the work yourself? If so, I and many others can walk you through it. If not, even though EGW parts are some of the best and most consistant there are and all that I personally use... the gunsmith you hire may have his own personal preferrences and may even have tooling and equipment set up for specific ignition parts.

Talk to the 'smith first. I know I charge extra when a client wants me to use components I don't normally use... I call it the "you know better than me" fee.

C

Tohm

Why are you concerned about the factory parts?

I have two Kimbers and the factory parts worked fine with a 2.5-3# trigger. I did put in a Clark sear spring but probably didn't need to. 19# main spring sure helped too. The actual ignition has held up fine for me.

I have used EGW in built from scratch guns. Good parts. I will try extreme engineering if I ever get off my duff and build that open gun I've been planning.

Hope this helps.

The reason i was interested is my Kimber did not come with the best trigger (it is better than most of the 1911's I looked at when I bought it during the mad dash) so I considered sending it out and having a trigger job done after I run some ammo through it, in case it needed anything else.

I had problems feeding so i bought a couple Wilson magazines and that went away,

I had problems with the safety coming off (more of an issue with the ambidextrous design) so I replaced that.

So now when I send it out and spend the money do I want to have the work done on good or better parts than original with some design features?

The gun has two uses for me personal protection and some steel plate matches to have fun with it.

If it is for CCW then you want about a 4lb - 4 1/2lb trigger, you don't want to go light.

As for parts I like the EGW, C&S, and the hard STI parts depending on the use. Smooth and creep free will feel much lighter than the specified weight.

After a few tries I did a pretty good sub. 3lb. trigger job on mine with stock MIM parts. The hammer is hard and hooks stay sharp, at least for 50,000+ rds.

But the Koenig hammer and EGW sear are really nice I hear.