Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explosia Lovex powder. any experience?

bajadudes

I recently purchased a type 1 magazine at auction. No keys for the lock. took a crane to get it on a flatbed and on location. when I got it open, among the contents were 140 kilos of a powder marked Explosia Lovex D073/2460.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular powder. From what I can tell its a rifle powder mainly 233 the lovex website does not specifically list the /2460 but does show that the D073 line is a double base powder.

I just thought that perhaps someone here has tried it and can offer some advice.

thanks

Edited by bajadudes

Did you check explosia's(I love that name) reloading manual?

http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny/download/reloading_EN.pdf

D073.5 says similar to accurate 2460 and gives loads. That would be interesting to try assuming it is exactly that powder.

Supposedly lovex/explosia used to make AA powder but AA gives a warning about euro powders and interchangeability.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Ah thanks for sleuthing out that link. This looks like a good rifle powder. I wonder how clean it burns. has anyone here actually ever used this powder. It appears to be in excellent shape in sealed 20 kilo boxes. inside the box the powder is double bagged first in heavy duty paper then heavy thick plastic bag.......it is a great name eh.

Edited by bajadudes

Interesting. They look to be Accurate Arm clone powders as that is their references in the manual as to how each powder performs and as Blue said they may have been one of Accurate Arms powder sources in teh past.

I've used AA2460 and in my experience it is a good to excellant powder for 223 and 308.

If indeed it is like AA2460 I would think you would be able to sell it to a bulk reloader pretty easily.

Now if you have about 86,000 .223 cases, primers, and 55g FMJ bullets in the magazine, too...well, you be sitting on a gold mine!

Good find. BTW - I thought the Type I mags were permanent installations, but that is neither here nor there in this case.

My typo sorry its a type 4 outdoor magazine. I only load 9 40 and 45 so I will probably offer this up in the classifieds some time next week. Date code on the boxes says 2004, powder smells fine with no acrid odor or signs of breakdown. powder appears spherical and should meter very well. No need to be paranoid I have an 06 ffl with all approvals in place.

No worries and wasn't trying to call you out on that at all. I work around ordnance and am familiar with the storage reqs and mag types, so it was just a observation. I wonder how the auction knew it didn't contain something more energetic than just smokeless powder/reloading components?

Anyway, I don't think you will have a hard time getting rid of it. I'd even volunteer to try some out if I was closer! ;)

I wondered the same thing. they had no keys for the thing and it was sold as is.it was a little auction place out side of fort bragg. I will offer it up to members here and on the beretta forum where I am a member for standard pre panic prices for the alliant equivalent. I just need some time to figure out the legality of repackaging and shipping. I am imagining that not many members are in a position to buy a 20 kilo box. of course face to face in NC would be best. if there is someone that wants to try this powder and report back to the forum I can send you a pound if you are willing to cover shipping and hazmat. its date code is 2004 so it predates the seperation between alliant and lovex. it was manufactured when they were coordinating so the above reload data should be accurate.

the locksmith charged me $200 to get it open and I got a steal on the price for the thing....well worth it considering what I found inside.

Edited by bajadudes

Hey if you can ship hazmat and put it in the classified I'd be up to buy some to try, medium rifle powder is one thing I'm short on and I've never used anything but rl15 and varget. Shoot me a pm if you decide to list.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

I seem to be in your area, and might be interested as well. How close to Raleigh are you?

swift creek area near crossroads shopping center or you could meet me at my warehouse where the magazine is in Erwin NC. you might be interested in other items I have there. a lot of lead projectiles some brass and other powders.

I inherited this abandond warehouse that used to be an ammo manufacturing plant. I am getting ready to re open it and there is a lot of abandoned items I would be very willing to let go at favorable pricing. I am generally there tuesday to friday morning. other wise I am a nurse at WakeMed working 3 twelve hour shifts on weekends.