Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P-16 .40 limited questions

jedmyers

Well I just picked up a para p-16 limited, great shooting gun. I didn't get a holster with it so I'm trying to find one. I've seen somewhere that a blade tech 1911 style DOH holster will work, but the gun just won't sit all the way down in it. Any suggestions for a DOH holster, as well as grips?

Any standard 1911 holster should work with your P-16,adjust the tension screws as needed until it snaps in the holster. Check the Para pro shop for VZ grips for your P16.

Edited by ParaGunner

I have Hogue wrap around grips on mine and I use a Blackhawk Standard holster (non Serpa). I had to dremel out a little material as the Para is a tad fat around the rear of the trigger guard. I use the same holster for Single stack so no problems with the alteration.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I've got the holster on the way and the grip situation taken care of. I've come up with another problem. I like to have extra parts just in case, more in particular springs. I've looked and have had no luck in finding competition spring kits for the gun. Any ideas?

The gun takes standard springs. You'll be hard pressed to find a competition spring kit as the only springs that have anything to do with trigger pull are the mainspring (try a 17#) and the sear spring which needs to be fitted to your gun. I like to use Colt sear springs as they are the highest quality ones around. The only other springs you will really have to replace are the recoil spring and firing pin spring. For the recoil spring, try a 12#, that's what I used to use in my P16.40 and it ran very flat with that setup. The firing pin spring won't need to be replaced for a really long time :)

Mr. bmiller, is this the S&A that requires the frame to be cut or something different? I am very curios. Thanks

Also, curios to the DOH question. I have been using a CR speed, but the simplicity of second rig with DOH catches my eye.

Thanks

Mr. Rhett45acp, yes the frame has to be cut. Luckily, I am friends with a great machinist that helped me out. It does not envolve a lot . ( well, he makes it look easy!). I think it could be done with a file in a pinch.

I believe it's just the standard Dawson magwell. The ice is bigger right?

The Ice has the plastic insert in the bottom to speed reloads. I don't think it's bigger, but reloads are a lot faster and consistent.

I purchased an older P-16 that had a dawson mag well on it. I could not use mags with the stock base pads. Maybe they have updated, I don't know. I shoot IDPA, so I had my friend mill down the sides so it fits the box. With the S&A I can use stock mags with no problems.

I purchased an older P-16 that had a dawson mag well on it. I could not use mags with the stock base pads. Maybe they have updated, I don't know. I shoot IDPA, so I had my friend mill down the sides so it fits the box. With the S&A I can use stock mags with no problems.

You have to modify the stock base pads to work with the DP magwells, but if you have DP mag extentions they fit fine with DP magwells.

Since you have access to a machine shop and a machinest one thing I did to my P16 was to install a trigger take up screw to eliminate the pretravel in my factory trigger. I will dig up a picture of where I put mine if you are interested.

Got to shoot the gun yet?