Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Extractor and Slide Stop Question

Blue Jacket

I am planning on throwing a few spare parts for my Eagle in the range bag. I was thinking of including an extractor, FO Rods, slide stop and recoil spring.

I have an Ed Brown slide stop I used as a back up for my single stack. Would this would on my STI Eagle?

Also, where is a good place to get a tensioned extractor (and which would you recommend) or does it need fitted to the gun? Thats, one thing I haven't quite figured out how to adjust. Thanks

Slide stop should work....that is the beautiful thing about the 2011 format, the vast majority of 1911 parts are interchangeable with it. As far as the extractor goes.....I have heard you can buy tensioned extractors ( not 100% ) but you can also YouTube it and there are multipul videos discussing and showing how to make sure you have proper tension

You should tune the extractor more precisely than that video shows. There are brass "gauges" that you slide into the extractor and then pull out using a trigger pull gauge to get accurate tension reading. I always keep mine at 14 - 20 ounces. There is also an extractor bending jig available that very precisely bends the extractor to adjust tension. I think Wilson Combat or Weigand makes them (?), it's been a few years but they do exist. Just doing the "hand feel" check with spent brass is OK for a gross approximation but an accurate setting is much better.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/action-frame-tools/extractor-tools/extractor-tension-gauge-set-prod16125.aspx

http://www.jackweigand.com/eat.html

Edited by bountyhunter

Yes, the slide stop is interchangeable between 1911/2011, given that it's for the same caliber.

One slide stop is for 9mm/.38S and the other size stop is for .40/45.

That said, I have a dual caliber 9mm/.40 Trojan with two different top ends that uses the 9mm slide stop and ejector for both with no problems at all.