Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle compensator design

Bear1142

Guys,

Now that the off-season is here I'll be working on some new rifle compensator designs. Nothing currently produced has all of the features I'm looking for so I've decided to spin up some prototypes and do some testing. I'm looking for some opinions. What is the longest comp. you'd use? I think the longest on the market right now are the Bushmaster Y-Comp/TTI eliminator/Z-M Weapons. They are all right about 3 1/4" long. Any thoughts Pro/Con on a 2 or 3 piece design comp? (Assuming the durability is on par with a one piece design)

Erik

Erik - what do you mean 2 or 3 piece design?

Rhino - I have a Smith Enteprises brake that's a decent comp and redirects flash in a positive manner as well. However, it's clearly not the best comp or as good as a flash hider - it's a compromise.

Rhino,

That is another design I'll be working on, more for ninja applications. In general, its very tough to get both in the same design. A good comp captures the expanding gases and redirects them to keep the muzzle flat and/or pull the gun forward to soften the recoil. A flash suppressor provides an open area for the unburned powder exiting the muzzle to continue to burn and redirect/diffuse the flash, but allow the expanding gases to escape. Both designs contradict the other, but I've got some ideas, stand by.

Cy,

The comps would be manufactured in 2 or 3 pieces and be assembled onto the rifle in a specific order. This complicates the overall design and manufacturing process, but potentially allows some better, more intricate designs. Unfortunately, it would also cost the end user more. The performance of the comp would have to justify the increased cost. Not sure if it would, but I'll got some ideas. Of course, I'll be looking for some T&E help if your available?

John,

You are correct, but a ruling from Amidon stated the comp length measurement is taken from the end of the muzzle, not from where the threads start. Most comps are threaded at least 1/2" over the barrel. Subtracting this from the overall, stand along comp length of 3 1/4" results in an overall comp length from the muzzle of about 2 3/4". Well within the overall length rules for a limited rifle. Having said all that, I do have some designs strictly for open rifles.

Erik

Scooter - That's how we designed my pistol comp!

Erik - I'd say that a 3-5" compensator, if appreciably better than what's out there is probably the max that I'd go. But then that fosters comparing shorter barrel lengths and longer compensators. It should be fun though!

Rich

Bear ... keep us apprised!

I've seen descriptions of the flash suppressor on the M16A2 that claim it also functions as a compensator (or at least as a muzzle brake). I can't imagine that it would be very good as a brake.

Scooter ... just say, "No!" to FLUENT and all other CFD software! In fact, avoid fluid mechanics altogether! It is evil! EVIL!