Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lasers legal on open guns?

Tuflehundon

I have a friend I have been trying to get to shoot USPSA with me. After watching a few videos from the range, he has started to get interested. He wants to use his carry gun so he can get more familiar with it. He has a Glock 17C with a Crimson Trace laser grip on it. Since it's a 17C, he would have to shoot Open, but will his laser be OK or would he have to take that off? Looking at the rules it says you have have electronic and optical sights, but I can't find anything specific about lasers.

He knows he won't be hugely competitive against the other Open guys not having an Optic on it, but he doesn't really care. He mainly just want to shoot it under stress and use the range time as training with it. He said that if he's gonna have to shoot open anyways, he may eventually get a slide mounted optic for it.

Yes, they are fine. It's another electronic sight so it falls under the Open rules. Some others have tried and just like you said, they were not highly competitive. However, a lot of this is just having fun too.

Also, this would have been better in the Rules section.

Good luck (to him)...

I've been thinking about adding a small laser to my open gun. Not for general use or instead of an optic, but rather for those sometimes awkward positions where it's hard to get a sight picture. It doesn't come up a lot, but at our Nationals last year there was a metric ton of targets that were placed at point blank distances but in very awkward locations where you had to reach or place the gun outside your stance to engage, high small ports (5') with targets on the ground 3' from the wall, 4' walls with targets in the ground right behind, string hand weak hand stage where the targets were a long reach around a wall but only 3' away.

Yes, they are fine. It's another electronic sight so it falls under the Open rules. Some others have tried and just like you said, they were not highly competitive. However, a lot of this is just having fun too.

Also, this would have been better in the Rules section.

Good luck (to him)...

Thanks for the replies, that was the way I saw it to, but wasn't sure.

And I questioned weather this should go here or the rules section.

Edited by Tuflehundon

With the CT grips he will unless he tapes it off. I have them on my carry gun and for normal daylight shooting I do not even see the laser unless it is less than 5 yards. We put a fun shoot into one of our indoor matches where we shot with the lights off. Did pretty well with my limited gun, but kicked ass when I shot it with my carry gun.

• 2 months later...

With the CT grips he will unless he tapes it off. I have them on my carry gun and for normal daylight shooting I do not even see the laser unless it is less than 5 yards. We put a fun shoot into one of our indoor matches where we shot with the lights off. Did pretty well with my limited gun, but kicked ass when I shot it with my carry gun.

The range I go to has action bays, which are walled on 3 sides. Sides have railroad ties, and the back has the railroad ties and a dirt burm in front of them. There are concrete slabs on top to prevent ricochets since we are in town and not in the booneys. The rear of the bays are open to the elements. There are lights that can be turned on at night, but some spots can get kinda dark at times.

reminded of the pic of BE with a huge frikken laser on a Bianchi revolver I think,

Lasers have come a long way I wouldn't have a problem with them being used however how good would they work on a typical sunny day ?

I used one today at a Friday fun shoot and did fairly well. Was not competitive in open, but it was interesting and fun. Came in last in open, but 5th overall. I have a light laser combo that I use on my home defense gun, so I put it on my Limited gun just to try it out and get a feel for it. I think it's useful on a home defense or self defense gun, but an optic is better for sport shooting. It really made me want an Open gun though. I am trying to work out a deal with another shooter at my range for a used Open gun now.

During the day I thing it would only work on close targets, which you really don't need it for.

Edited by Tuflehundon